cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE 2.3 Wired 802.1x with AD and or Certificate

roger perkin
Level 2
Level 2

Can anyone provide me a sample 2.3 policy for a wired 802.1x policy. 

First I would like to allow access based on the fact the computer is a domain joined machine. 

Secondly i would like to allow access based on prescence of a certificate. 

Question: 

Am I able to have separate policies on different devices? 

i.e start to deploy with AD domain joined machine status and then gradually migrate to certificate based auth. 

Or do I need to decide on one or the other? 

Thanks

1 Reply 1

Hi, I don't have an example to hand, but you are able to do exactly what you have asked. You can create AuthZ rules to match specifically on the authentication method used. I assume when you say domain computer you mean PEAP/MSCHAPv2, that is the most common authentication method.

For MSCHAPv2 you can create a AuthZ rule to match on "NetworkAccess : EAPAuthentication Equals EAP-MSCHAPv2".

For certificates you'd create another rule and use the condition "NetworkAccess : EAPAuthentication Equals EAP-TLS".

ISE will go through the rules top down until a match is found, once matched it will not process the rest. So in this example if you've deployed certificates and the client supplicant is configured to use EAP-TLS it will not match on the EAP-MSCHAPv2 rule and progress to the next, hopefully matching the EAP-TLS rule.

You can combine other conditions, such as AD domain group membership and use MSCHAPv2 AND Domain Computers etc.

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: