Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE Issue with DNS

joatman82
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Techies,

I am facing challenge while configuring ISE to join AD. Domain Name lookup fails. DNS is working perfectly fine;

nslookup works fine on ISE for simple domain names, but on long domain  names it fails while throwing the following error;

;; Truncated, retrying in TCP mode.

;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

Upon searching on google, may threads discuss that it a common issue with linux, when multiple IP's are returned for DNS query. Solution is to make static entries in;

/etc/resolv.conf

Not able to find it in ISE, as it does not give access to the OS. I am running it on VMware.

Looking forward to get your valuable inputs to resolve this.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Tarik Admani
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

You will need to work this with TAC for this issue, I am not aware of any bugs regarding joining AD due to a long suffix, but it would be something to work with them on. Also are there any ACLs or firewalls blocking tcp from ISE to the DNS environment?

Also check if you can resolve the ise hostname and its ip address (forward and reverse).

Thanks,

Tarik Admani
*Please rate helpful posts*

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Tarik Admani
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

You will need to work this with TAC for this issue, I am not aware of any bugs regarding joining AD due to a long suffix, but it would be something to work with them on. Also are there any ACLs or firewalls blocking tcp from ISE to the DNS environment?

Also check if you can resolve the ise hostname and its ip address (forward and reverse).

Thanks,

Tarik Admani

Thanks for your response. Port 53(TCP) was opened on firewall & voila........nslookup was able to resolve the hostname.

Now there is another challenge because of huge environment. Active Directory forest contains  more than 50+ child domain controllers. Policy is open for one particular hostname/ip. But authentication is not successful & ISE is not able to join domain. CISCO forums says that ports for all server should be open for ISE on the intermediate firewall, but it is a huge challenge for testing.

While I tried to give the FQDN of specific server(from whom ports are open on firewall), it is not getting resolved again.

Please sugeest

jan.nielsen
Level 7
Level 7

If you add ise servers ip to a sites and services definition in ad' you can control which ad server it will try join

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Jan is correct,

However if your sites and services do not allow this flexibility then your best bet would be to deploy your own DNS environment, but Jan's comments are the best way because ISE is very sensitive to DNS server changes and I dont recommend this option if you are deploying this for production eventually.

Thanks,

Tarik Admani