cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE Linsencing in HA Configuraiton

Johnny Leon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I'm placing two SNS-3515, one to be configured in HA mode.  Do I have to double the number of Base licenses for the second HA server?  Or are both active at the same time and one takes over when the other one fails?

Please advice.  

Thank you. 

3 Replies 3

Rahul Govindan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Licensing is done per deployment. So the license count would be only the total number of Base licenses required for your environment. This will be applied on the Primary Admin node of the deployment. 

Usually in a 2 node deployment, both nodes act as Policy Service Nodes (PSN) and can service session requests from switches and other network devices. You would configure one node as primary and the other as secondary, the order is up to you. If one goes down, the network device will reach out to the second ISE PSN in the list after a number of failed attempts to reach the first node. 

Charlie Moreton
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Remember to add the UDI information from both the Primary and Secondary Admin Nodes to the license when registering the PAK, if using traditional licenses.

RichardAtkin
Level 3
Level 3

No, you do not have to double up.

BASE, PLUS & APEX licenses are pooled within the cluster so they are shared across all nodes within the cluster.

(I know this next bit doesn't apply to you, but if you ever deploy ISE in a virtualised environment though, do remember to license each VM Host.)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: