cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE Radius device administration authentication possible?

joerg
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

does anybody know if Radius device administration authentication and authorization is possible with the actual ISE release? I know that TACACS will be available in future release.           

Regards

Joerg

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Eduardo Aliaga
Level 4
Level 4

Yes it's possible according to "Ask the experts" forum :

--------------------------

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2172532

"If you use RADIUS for device administration, ISE can be utilized using authorization policy elements that return Cisco av-pairs.  But personally, I think ACS is currently superior to ISE for this task."

Anyway, I'm about to test "device admin" and "network access" simultaneously in the same switch with Radius and ISE.

Please rate if it helps

View solution in original post

Yes you can use radius even in the ACS days for device administration, however command authorization is not a feature that works efficiently with radius.

If you are using IOS devices your authorization policy should send back the "cisco-av-pair=priv-lvl=15". Please consult the product documentaiton for a radius authentication and the radius av pair should be present in most guides. I know you can do this with IOS, NX_OS, WLC devce to name a few.

Thanks,

Tarik Admani
*Please rate helpful posts*

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Eduardo Aliaga
Level 4
Level 4

Yes it's possible according to "Ask the experts" forum :

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2172532

"If you use RADIUS for device administration, ISE can be utilized using authorization policy elements that return Cisco av-pairs.  But personally, I think ACS is currently superior to ISE for this task."

Anyway, I'm about to test "device admin" and "network access" simultaneously in the same switch with Radius and ISE.

Please rate if it helps

Hi,

thanks for your feedback.

Please post the results of your tests when have done them.

Regards

Joerg

Yes you can use radius even in the ACS days for device administration, however command authorization is not a feature that works efficiently with radius.

If you are using IOS devices your authorization policy should send back the "cisco-av-pair=priv-lvl=15". Please consult the product documentaiton for a radius authentication and the radius av pair should be present in most guides. I know you can do this with IOS, NX_OS, WLC devce to name a few.

Thanks,

Tarik Admani
*Please rate helpful posts*