Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE upgrade from 1.4 to ISE 2.2

rohitbhanu009
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I`m Upgrading ISE 1.4 to ISE 2.2 from CLI and it was running from 2 hrs. How much time it will take to complete or I need to abort the process and restart the new One?

Bundle "ise-upgradebundle-1.4.x-to-2.2.0.470.x86_64.tar.gz"

application upgrade prepare ise-upgradebundle-1.4.x-to-2.2.0.470.x86_64.tar.gz new-disk

Getting bundle to local machine...
md5: 73602a456bdf5f35811832ad43ffa8fe
sha256: ea21990738a8e20f02f3c6c8eb0f305587ed35c210094cc7f12dec3c3e9fa010
% Please confirm above crypto hash matches what is posted on Cisco download site.
% Continue? Y/N [Y] ? y
Unbundling Application Package...

Application upgrade preparation successful
ISEP-03/master# show version

Cisco Application Deployment Engine OS Release: 2.2
ADE-OS Build Version: 2.2.0.421
ADE-OS System Architecture: x86_64

Copyright (c) 2005-2014 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
All rights reserved.
Hostname: ISEP-03

Version information of installed applications
---------------------------------------------

Cisco Identity Services Engine
---------------------------------------------
Version : 1.4.0.253
Build Date : Thu Apr 23 06:15:49 2015
Install Date : Fri Aug 12 12:19:41 2016

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

It's strange that this happened; however, I would just de-register the MNT from the PAN of the second two node deployment. You will likely have to add the MNT and PSN roles to the remaining PAN prior to doing this. At that point, you can register the MNT back to the original deployment. 

At that point, you should be able to convert the remaining PAN into Standalone. After that, you can register that to the original deployment, as well. 

If the above doesn't work, I would do an "application reset-config ise" from the CLI of each node to factory reset them. Note that this will erase the node including the certificates. Although, you should be able to select "retain certificates during reset" in the process. As long as the application is running at the time, it should back them up and restore them automatically while factory resetting the ISE application. Complete the bootstrapping configuration and then re-register them (after provisioning/exchanging certificates as needed).

HTH,
Ryan

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"application upgrade prepare " is only the first bit. Once that has completed you need to next go ahead and run the "application upgrade proceed" command. 

Reference:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ise/2-2/upgrade_guide/b_ise_upgrade_guide_22/b_ise_upgrade_guide_22_chapter_011.html

Hi MArvin 

Thanks for the reply,

I have done with upgrade, actually problem with the repository, I have save the new bundle in local disk and forgot to change the vm version, Before run the application upgrade proceed command i have restarted the server after restarted the server repositiry file location was gone and i made it from CLI.so I abort my running upgrade and create the new repository and installed Upgrade the IOS version. And all went well.

Now i have problem with the NODE allocation we hve 9 ISE server 2 ADmin 2 Monitor and 5 Policy after upgrade we have two set now 1 set like 1 admin 1 monitor nd 5 policy 

2nd set like 1 admin 1 monitor. Now we want to add 2nd set in the existing setup so we can acheive the HA. could you pleae give us some clue how we can proceed on this.

Thanks

Rohit

It's strange that this happened; however, I would just de-register the MNT from the PAN of the second two node deployment. You will likely have to add the MNT and PSN roles to the remaining PAN prior to doing this. At that point, you can register the MNT back to the original deployment. 

At that point, you should be able to convert the remaining PAN into Standalone. After that, you can register that to the original deployment, as well. 

If the above doesn't work, I would do an "application reset-config ise" from the CLI of each node to factory reset them. Note that this will erase the node including the certificates. Although, you should be able to select "retain certificates during reset" in the process. As long as the application is running at the time, it should back them up and restore them automatically while factory resetting the ISE application. Complete the bootstrapping configuration and then re-register them (after provisioning/exchanging certificates as needed).

HTH,
Ryan

hcmitchell1
Level 1
Level 1

I wonder what hardware was used, I have issue with a 3315 but I get platform type not supported.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: