cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE1.1 - Use of one guest account on multiple devices

Syed Yasir Imam
Level 1
Level 1

I have ISE1.1 with local web authentication process for "Guest" Wi-Fi. I faced a problem in bulk guest account creation and TAC filed a bug - CSCup38457: "importing guest account CSV fails via sponsor portal"

Now, I need to allow guests to connect to "Guest" Wi-Fi using multiple devices (approx. 200). My queries are below:

1- Is it possible to permit one guest account to be used by approx. 200 devices at same time?

2- On how many devices single guest account can be used?

3- Is there any limitation or abnormal behavior in terms of guest portal for such cases?

4 Replies 4

Venkatesh Attuluri
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

1- Is it possible to permit one guest account to be used by approx. 200 devices at same time?

no

2- On how many devices single guest account can be used?

default 5 max 20

Hi Vattullu, this option is editable? 

For example 2 devices maximun.

If yes, where?

Thanks!

Are you sure that is true?

When I look at the restriction on device registration I read that as applicable only to Device Self Registration, not to normal guest access.

So as far as guest sessions per user I can either choose to limit to one with the check box, or allow infinite.

And the Device Registration Portal Limit applies to self registration of devices, not just standard guest access. The OP doesn't look like he wants to register devices, he just wants to allow guest access for multiple devices.

This is how I read it anyway. Please let me kno if you think otherwise.

If this is not the case, then is it not possible to create a standard Network Access User (not through guest portal) and have as many users access this as you need? In this case 200. As long as you disable password changes/expirations/lockouts etc.

If not I may be in trouble :-)

You are absolutely right. The limit for devices applies only to "Device Registration" (BYOD flow or Device Registration Web Auth).

I am not aware of a limit of devices/session for guest accounts. In fact, I have deployed ISE with hundreds of guest users where the HTML portal has a hidden guest username/password so the guest users only have to accept an AUP while performing an authentication in the background. 

Thank you for rating helpful posts!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: