Views
Helpful
Replies

Issue with Client Provision when use ISE Posture on ASA

yangui319
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys
I want to test ISE Posture with AnyConnet on ASA, but the Client Provision cannot work correctly. However, when ISE Posture with BYOD is work corretly. Here some configuration on ASA and ISE captures.
ON ASA:

webvpn

enable outside

anyconnect image disk0:/anyconnect-win-4.2.00096-k9.pkg 1

anyconnect enable tunnel-group-list enable

!

ip local pool POOL1 192.168.100.1-192.168.100.100 mask 255.255.255.0

access-list SPLIT-ACL standard permit 172.16.1.0 255.255.255.0

access-list Redirect extended permit tcp any any eq www

!

group-policy GroupPolicy_SSL internal

group-policy GroupPolicy_SSL attributes

wins-server none

dns-server value 172.16.1.241

vpn-tunnel-protocol ssl-client

split-tunnel-policy tunnelspecified

split-tunnel-network-list value SPLIT-ACL

default-domain none

!

aaa-server ISE protocol radius

dynamic-authorization

aaa-server ISE (inside) host 172.16.1.110

timeout 5

key cisco

!

tunnel-group SSL type remote-access

tunnel-group SSL general-attributes

address-pool POOL1

authentication-server-group ISE

default-group-policy GroupPolicy_SSL

tunnel-group SSL webvpn-attributes

group-alias SSL enable 

!

With Configure on ISE, the HTTP Redirect is working, and download anyconnect network assistant also as usual, but when run the assistant, it encouter error with "cannot connect to the server...". looks like the posture profile defined on ISE does not work properly. does anyone have same problems?

1-Top.png2-Radius Live Log.png3-ISE Posture Profile.png4-Anyconnect Configuration.png5-Client Provision Resources.png6-HTTP Redirect.png8-anyconnect network assistant.png9-assistant error.png

8 Replies 8

Octavian Szolga
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Can you please test with a different IP (still part of the tunneled traffic) other than ISE in discovery host section of the posture profile?
Also, make sure you delete the profile from the PC before the test.

Regards,

Octavian

if i manually install anyconnect module posture and iseposture manully and add the xml profile with discovery host 172.16.1.110, it can work. PC can dynamic download anyconnect compliance module, but is not a intelligence way.

and why need to change to anther discovery host address? i mean, the discovery host is not the posture server ?

Hi,

The discovery host should be any IP that's inside the tunnel that can trigger the redirect to ISE.
It's not recommended to be ISE. Give it a go like I suggested.

Thanks,

Octavian

i change the discovery host to 172.16.1.241, and enable ip http server on R1, same issue.

However, when i change the remedia timer to 20min. But on VPN Client also use 4min. what's that problem?

Remediation Timer.png

Remediation Timer ON VPN Client.png

Hi,

I don't see anything wrong in your second set of pictures. I assume that after you download the client you get the same error.

Have you checked this tutorial?

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/adaptive-security-appliance-asa-software/117693-configure-ASA-00.html

I noticed that your redirect URL is quite simple, with not exceptions. This may be the issue, even though the default deny (no redirect) should allow any other traffic (including ISE).

One more thing, beware of NAT config. Make sure your NAT config except VPN to Internal from any PAT.

If I were you, I'd check these:

- DNS (maybe the client can't resolve ISE FQDN at some point)

- split tunnel vs full tunnel (I'd test with full tunnel just to make sure all traffic is diverted towards ASA)

- identity NAT for pool to internal and PAT for internet (for some reason the redirect may not work sometimes because of NAT; something to do with NAT order of operations)

- newer version of ISE/AC? (last time I've used directly the callhome option in the AC xml posture profile and it worked like a charm)

One more thing, based on your ISE version, this may help you to understand how things work and possibly what's wrong in your case:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/identity-services-engine-22/210523-ISE-posture-style-comparison-for-pre-and.html

Regards,

Octavian

Thanks, no nat has configured, and DNS working correctly. i have test with ise 2.1,2.2,2.4, same issue encoutered.

additionally,I have test another way that configure posture, on ASA added the following command,

ON ASA

group-policy Group_SSL attribute

webvpn

anyconnect modules posture,iseposture

With the upon command, and create ise posture profile use ASDM. By this way, the test PC can normally download anyconnect posture module and ise posture module, and with the ise posture profile, test pc can dynamic download anyconnect compliance from ise, and working correctlly.

however, this is not intelligence enough.

i have test this scene for several days. maybe some key command or setting been ignored.

Hi,

Why is it troublesome to do it this way? This is how I did it and I see no issue with it.

I remember having some issues with the fact that the same profile would have to be configured/synced both on ISE and ASA, but I guess this would be a false issue because normally, one you're done with the config you're not changing it on a daily basis. You just place the same profile both on ISE and ASA and done. In case you'd need to update anyconnect, you'd place the newer version on ASA and it will be updated for sure.

Regards,

Octavian

i have test anyconnect 4.2,4.3,4.5, with asav943 and asav981, same issue. So, i came here for help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: