Views
Helpful
Replies

Network Edge Authentication Topology (NEAT) with Cisco Cat3850's and PKI

chris-lawrence
Level 1
Level 1

Team,

I have a rather successful wired DOT1X solution using EAP-TLS (PKI) running on my Cat3850 network. Ok, it's using ACS still but I'll rollout a better authentication server in the months to come.

I have had to add a layer of switching in front of my authenticator and now want to explore using NEAT by defining a supplicant configuration. I see that I have tried using username/password in the credentials and see my RADIUS light up with deny log entries - I expected to see this as I don't have an ACS access policy defined to allow connection.

I am trying to use my pki by creating a trustpoint on this supplicant and the trying to define "pki-trustpoint <tp-name>" in my dot1x credentials.

I'd expect to see something at the ACS related to my EAP-TLS attempts, but I see nothing.

Is what I am trying to do even possible?

Thanks,

Chris

1 Reply 1

franklinb
Level 1
Level 1

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one wanting to do NEAT with something other than the default documentation option of MD5

Sorry I have not tried this with ACS but I have done the IBNS1 method with EAP-MD5 to ISE and this works fine. It is not a very good solution however as MD5 not very secure. We also are not able to use Activity Directory as an Identity Source since MD5 is not supported for the AD-connector, leaving ISE local accounts as the only option. This is also problematic given the password must be changed regularly (based on the setting in ISE)

I would much prefer to use EAP-TLS, and am now using IBNS2 which is meant to be simpler for NEAT - an interface template result instead of the av pair and does not involve any macros.

EAP-TLS for the supplicant requires PKI but this is where I get stuck and am currently working on. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: