Views
Helpful
Replies

Reset CLI admin password from CLI

riyasrasheed
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Experts,

I am quite new to ISE, I have access to ISE cli using a user account having role admin.

I tried to set username admin with our standard password, But I cannot login using, username admin and this password from the cli.

I see it is required to boot from iso to set the admin password. Does it required even to reset the ''admin'' username even after i can access the cli.

Appreciate your response on this.

Thanks

rYs

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Naresh Ginjupalli
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi riyasrasheed,

I tested this on my ISE 1.3 version and it worked well. My understanding of the issue is , you were not able to change the password of default Admin user by logging into CLI with another user who had admin role.

I tested this on my ISE 1.3 version and it worked well for me. With the ISO image you can only change the password of  admin users but you cannot change the usernames.

Thanks,

Naresh

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Naresh Ginjupalli
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi riyasrasheed,

I tested this on my ISE 1.3 version and it worked well. My understanding of the issue is , you were not able to change the password of default Admin user by logging into CLI with another user who had admin role.

I tested this on my ISE 1.3 version and it worked well for me. With the ISO image you can only change the password of  admin users but you cannot change the usernames.

Thanks,

Naresh

riyasrasheed
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Naresh,

Yes, I have username which has admin role, So i can login using that username to the box.

I also can create username admin and password, but while I tried to login using admin and password, I cannot.

Also see the admin password is showing as plain text, even after I gave the hash command while creating the username.

Now I don't have a username admin, So I am trying to create one, but its not working.

Is there any limitation in the number of admin role can create ?

Thanks

Hi riyasrasheed,

May be the encrypted password is not working that great. Can you create an admin user  with plain password and the try logging with that user and password. As such there is no limitation on the number of admin user creation I know of.

Thanks,

Naresh

HI,

I tried using plain password for username admin and while I try to login, i am getting these mesaages, and need ctrl+c to stop it..

You are not the owner of /var/run/screen/S-admin.

Hi riyasrasheed,

Can you please confirm the version of ISE you are using. For me this seems to be an issue with permission for that specific user. You are likely hitting the defect CSCuo75872 and it is fixed in ISE 1.3 version.

Can you please raise a TAC case.

Thanks,

Naresh

HI,

The version is 1.2.0.899, Do we need an iso image to boot to reset the admin account,

This was running in a VM and we lost the passowrd, After resetting the vm root passrd we manage to get access to the box.

Hi riyasrasheed,

With the ISO image you can only reset the password of Admin user. You cannot repair the admin user if permissions to this admin user are lost.

The way we can repair the admin user permission is by logging to the ISE node with Root Patch and traversing to the patch /var/run/screen and executing the command

chown <username> /var/run/screen/S-admin

Thanks,

Naresh

Hi, I am just using this ISE, So my knowledge is limited to tshoot any issues for now.

I hope u might know the issue I wnat to resolve.

Can you advice whats the solution for this issue ?

I cannot provide my user acct to all, need to have a standard username, So others can access the device using this username. So we need to have admin username.

Kindly advice.

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: