Views
Helpful
Replies

Run Radius & Tacacs+ simultaneously on ACS

Oliver Eve
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I've currently got an ACS setup running TACACS+ which is doing the normal AAA things that we need it to do.

I've been searching around online and can't figure out if I can set up the ACS to run Radius and TACACS+ in parallel on the same box? I've tried adding in new clients and servers with the same IP but using Radius instead of tacacs but the ACS refuses them as the hosts already exist.

The reason we want Radius is we're testing 802.1x and need a radius server to do it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks again

Oli

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Oli,

Are you using same device name? If you do that then don't. You can not use same device name.

Use different device name with same IP address and change to RADIUS and that should probably work.

Regards,

Amjad

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello Oliver,

what ACS version are you using?

If you use 4.x then you can simply create a new entry of the device with same IP but choose different protocol (TACACS+ or RADIUS) and that should work.

If you are using 5.x however, you can add both TACACS+ and RADIUS configuration under the same device.

If you go to: Network Resources -> Network Devices and AAA Clients, and then try to create a new device entry, you will find both configuration for TACACS+ and RADIUS that can be configured independently.

If you are using versoin 4.x, have TACACS+ configured and try to configure RADIUS and tells you the device is already exist, then make sure that the device is not already added as RADIUS  client on same server. Use the search to search for the ip address and double check.

HTH

Amjad

Hi Amjad,

Im running 4.1 on an ACS 1111. Everytime i try to add the device under radius instead of tacacs+ it says the host exists so I can't add it in? I've also searched for the IP and i'm yet to find a solution.

Any other ideas? Appreciate your help

Oli

Hi Oli,

Are you using same device name? If you do that then don't. You can not use same device name.

Use different device name with same IP address and change to RADIUS and that should probably work.

Regards,

Amjad

Hi Amjad

That'll do it!

Now to get dot1x working

Thanks again

Oli

Thanks Oli. Glad that I could help.

Hi All,

My Question is

can we configure tacacs+ and radius (as a client) on the same router?

If yes,which protocol should it take as highest priority(tacacs+ or Radius).

Thanks in advance.

With regards,

karimulla.g

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: