cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Syslog templates

wmccarty
Level 1
Level 1

I was looking at the syslog template for Infoblox and noticed there is no user data field for the "hostname".

Can this be added?  The hostname in the dhcp log has proven very useful for us in the past in tracking down users.

and I would love to see this populated into stealthwatch.

wendell

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Aaron Woland
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I'm very interested in your request, and would love it if you could you elaborate more.

In the meantime, let me outline what our goals were/are in the ISE 2.2 release:  I beleive you already understand the goal is to share identities from ISE (passive or active), and passive identities only with ISE-PIC.  That means the username and ip address are the key items to share, but also reaching into the ID Source and grabbing other important attributes like UPN, Group Membership, GUID, etc.

Syslog sources are there to provide those username & IP-Mappings.  IP address management (IPAM) syslogs are a little special.  We use the IPAM syslogs to learn MAC addresses for L2/L3 binding.  We also use it to ensure fidelity of the information in the session directory.  If a DHCP lease has expired, clean up the session. If the IP Address is assigned to a new host, clean up the session, etc. etc.

The only information from a Syslog that gets merged into the pxGrid topic that SteathWatch is consuming is the username, mac address & ip address. Hostname was never one of the items identified for passive ID sharing; unless that was the credential used (ie.: machine auth).  In which case we will be sending a flag "WasMachineAuthenticated" to show that it is a machines (a computer) credential.  The BETA version does not include that yet, it is still to be released, but will ship before FCS.

Sharing contextual information, like 'hostname' is something we do share with full ISE. I.e.: Plus licensing w/ profiling, etc..  That's because it would fall under a heading of "context", and not passive Identity. However, I'm not sure yet which fields are consumed by SW - exactly - and I will check on that.  With that said, here's another caveat, we aren't consuming hostname from Syslogs, we consume it via DHCP SPAN, DNS probe, even the Active Directory Probe.

Looking forward to learning more about your use case.

-Aaron

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Timothy Abbott
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Wendell,

Thanks for the feedback.  Could you explain how used the hostname information previously?  What I mean is, did you log into Infoblox to get that information when you wanted to track down users?

Regards,

-Tim

Aaron Woland
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I'm very interested in your request, and would love it if you could you elaborate more.

In the meantime, let me outline what our goals were/are in the ISE 2.2 release:  I beleive you already understand the goal is to share identities from ISE (passive or active), and passive identities only with ISE-PIC.  That means the username and ip address are the key items to share, but also reaching into the ID Source and grabbing other important attributes like UPN, Group Membership, GUID, etc.

Syslog sources are there to provide those username & IP-Mappings.  IP address management (IPAM) syslogs are a little special.  We use the IPAM syslogs to learn MAC addresses for L2/L3 binding.  We also use it to ensure fidelity of the information in the session directory.  If a DHCP lease has expired, clean up the session. If the IP Address is assigned to a new host, clean up the session, etc. etc.

The only information from a Syslog that gets merged into the pxGrid topic that SteathWatch is consuming is the username, mac address & ip address. Hostname was never one of the items identified for passive ID sharing; unless that was the credential used (ie.: machine auth).  In which case we will be sending a flag "WasMachineAuthenticated" to show that it is a machines (a computer) credential.  The BETA version does not include that yet, it is still to be released, but will ship before FCS.

Sharing contextual information, like 'hostname' is something we do share with full ISE. I.e.: Plus licensing w/ profiling, etc..  That's because it would fall under a heading of "context", and not passive Identity. However, I'm not sure yet which fields are consumed by SW - exactly - and I will check on that.  With that said, here's another caveat, we aren't consuming hostname from Syslogs, we consume it via DHCP SPAN, DNS probe, even the Active Directory Probe.

Looking forward to learning more about your use case.

-Aaron

wmccarty
Level 1
Level 1

on a lot of windows systems,  the local firewall is enable so that you can not query the hostname directly over the network,

however,  even though it is firewalled,  it is still provides the hostname to the dhcp server, and is logged in the dhcp messages

I would like to see the machine name taken from the dhcp logs and put into the "Client Host Name" field that is already in the stealthwatch flow record.

a lot of our departments name the machines so they can easily be tracked,  some of them put the property or service tag number as part of the name.

some examples:

<30>Nov 7 07:44:45 128.163.111.8 dhcpd[26220]: DHCPACK on 10.21.170.5 to 10:a5:d0:e1:90:b4 (android-4f02c10f579a521b) via eth1 relay 10.20.148.16 lease-duration 3600 (RENEW)

<30>Nov 7 07:44:45 128.163.37.116 dhcpd[3320]: DHCPACK on 10.21.200.194 to b8:44:d9:28:97:0e (peters-iPhone) via eth1 relay 10.21.200.7 lease-duration 3600 (RENEW)

<30>Nov 7 07:44:45 128.163.111.8 dhcpd[26220]: DHCPACK on 172.22.121.1 to 38:59:f9:81:3a:96 (EDPVA00401L11) via eth1 relay 172.22.120.5 lease-duration 3600 (RENEW)

<30>Nov 7 07:44:45 128.163.111.8 dhcpd[26220]: DHCPACK

on 172.25.41.90 to f8:ca:b8:4b:59:b8 (FA-HRADM-L026) via eth1 relay 172.25.226.2 lease-duration 691199 (RENEW)

<30>Nov 7 07:44:46 128.163.37.116 dhcpd[3320]: DHCPACK on 10.21.184.198 to e8:b2:ac:29:4b:c1 (TPVHITFSN024275) via eth1 relay 10.21.184.8 lease-duration 3600 (RENEW)

This is really helpful, thanks.

We get the hostname without needing to parse the syslog.  We get it via Profiling.  chyps & kegagnon; Wendell brings up a good point about possibly leveraging the syslog to aid with that profiling attribute.

Wendell:  You can get that field over to Stealthwatch via pxGrid with full ISE, and I will check with the PM/PO's on SW's ability to consume that field as you've requested and reply back here with the answer I get.

-Aaron

thanks,

fyi,  we are not set up to do span of dhcp traffic and not all our users use AD,  so dhcp syslog would be the only way we can get their hostnames if they are not using AD.

wendell

Hey Wendell,

For ISE, this ends up boiling down to a profiling design question.  We use IP Helpers to get DHCP traffic to ISE probes, for example.  Or even Device sensor on the Cisco Switch / WLC.

There are lots of ways to get the data to ISE.  SPAN is just one of them

Aaron

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: