cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using Windows NPS for Cisco router aaa authentication - is this safe?

red red
Level 1
Level 1

I'm very confused about how all this works and was hoping someone could help me out.

I followed a bunch of online tutorials to setup RADIUS authentication on a Cisco router and pointed it to a Windows NPS. I can now ssh into the router my with AD account.

Now that I got it working I'm going over the settings to make sure everything is secure.

On my router the config is pretty simple:

aaa new-model
aaa group server radius WINDOWS_NPS
server-private 123.123.123.123 auth-port 1812 acct-port 1813 key mykey
aaa authentication login default local group WINDOWS_NPS

ip domain-name MyDom
crypto key generate rsa

(under vty and console)# login authentication default

On the Windows NPS:

• I created a new RADIUS client for the router.
  • Created a shared secret and specified Cisco as Vendor Name.
  • Created a new Network Policy with my desired conditions.
  • And now the part of the Network Policy config that worries me:

NPS config

So initially I thought my AD credentials were being sent over the wire in plain text, but I did a capture and saw this:

How is my password being encrypted and how strong is the encryption?

Another thing is how can I configure aaa authentication with mschapv2? The documentation I saw for mschapv2 uses the "ppp authentication ms-chap-v2" command, but I'm not using ppp I'm using aaa with a radius server.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

johnd2310
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

Radius encrypts the password but sends the user name in the clear. Tacacs encrypts both username and password.

You can find the encryption scheme used by Radius in the RFC:

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2865#page-27

MS-Chap-V2 is used for user authentication like dial-in and vpn and not for switch management

Thanks

John

**Please rate posts you find helpful**

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

johnd2310
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

Radius encrypts the password but sends the user name in the clear. Tacacs encrypts both username and password.

You can find the encryption scheme used by Radius in the RFC:

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2865#page-27

MS-Chap-V2 is used for user authentication like dial-in and vpn and not for switch management

Thanks

John

**Please rate posts you find helpful**

Ok i think that clears it up. I looked at the RFC and guess RADIU just uses MD5 which is perfectly fine. But I have one more question: if a preshared radius key gets compromised I need to reissue a new key to all my clients correct? If a hacker knew the key they could decrypt the traffic right?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: