cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN 3000 shows 'Authentication rejected: Group password is not configured'

JOOST HAGE
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to set up Radius authentication on a 3015 with an ACS 3.1 server.

When testing the authentication, I'm receiving THE FOLLOWING LOG:

Authentication rejected: Reason = Group password is not configured

handle = 27, server = 10.16.10.14, user = test, domain = <not specified>

On the ACS (logs), authentication seems succesfull, so it's not the Radius-secret (also, when changed the response changes to 'Authentication rejected: Unspecified') or the user credentials (which receive the same response when entered incorrectly)

Also, I've configured a different Radius-server (Funk) with the same credentials, and that one's doing fine.

So, what am I doing wrong? Anyone?

Grtz, Joost

4 Replies 4

JOOST HAGE
Level 1
Level 1

Found the problem. On ACS, I had the 'ip address assignment: assigned by dial-up client' option enabled (in group settings).

I saw the difference in response between the two radius-servers (yay ethereal) and changed the setting to 'no ip assignment'. This solved the problem (sigh...)

Grtz, Joost

I was glad to find your post, as I am having the same problem... However, I am still recieving the error after setting 'no ip assignment'. Did you do anything else?

Thank You!

Chris

In general, I'd say that the log message is an incorrect 'I don't know what was in the radius return packet' message of the Concentrator. When the radius shared-secret is incorrect this makes sense, as the packets (to-and-fro) will be encrypted using the wrong shared key (and the reponse will indeed be a garbled packet the concentrator cannot understand).

However, I believe it also generates this message when a Radius-option is returned the Concentrator doesn't understand.

Your best bet (I think...) will be to disable all specific Radius options, see if authentication works, and then enable options you require until you 'break' communication.

Hope this helps.

Grtz, Joost