cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Windows 10 presenting MAC address for 802.1x autentication not the userid

rschwart
Level 1
Level 1

We have several windows 10 computer presenting the computers mac address as the user name for 802.1x authentication. The user is logging into the domain with the user id. Has anybody seen this and know how to fix it? We use the Nac Agent 4.9.5.3.

6 Replies 6

nspasov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I have only seen this before when the native supplicant in Windows was not configured and was using default settings. If the supplicant is not configured for 802.1x then it will try to do MAB instead and as a result, you will see the MAC address being used for username/password. 

Are you able to confirm that the supplicant is configured properly? If yes, can you provide:

1. Supplicant settings

2. Switchport configuration

Thank you for rating helpful posts!

We have checked the windows supplicant setting and they appear to have the correct information. This seems to affect only newly re-imaged windows 10 machines. To make it more interesting machines side by side imaged at the same time one works correctly and the other does not. 

Hmm, in the past I ran into this with Windows 7 machines that were missing 802.1x specific patches. Since the machines that are affected are the ones that were recently re-imaged I would start with generic windows updates. 

So the next question that I have is: Have you tried to run Windows update and then try authentication again and see if that fixes the issue?

We have tried a couple new images, performed updates. What does seem to in most cases is leaving the domain and then rejoining. Weather this is a GPO issue or something else. As always we have to prove this isn't a network issue. We did a reboot of the ISE servers 2 weeks ago, new certificates and double checking the machines with issues, they seemed to have resolved. Not sure is this was due to the ISE reboot or possible a windows update. 

What version and patch level of ISE are you running in your environment?

we are running ISE 1.4 patch 10