cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel

Who Me Too'd this topic

Spanning-Tree with portfast enabled globally bad idea?

Joshua_521
Level 1
Level 1

I am new pretty new to networking and am trying to understand my orginizations current configs. We have a large hub and spoke network, but my question is for the remote side of the house. On the remote we have 3 seperate networks (2 user and 1 transport). On the transport we have a 2811 rtr and a 3560G. The 3560G runs to two HAIPE devices (KG-250's) that have our 2 user networks behind them.

On the user network it is just 1 3560G that is essentially an access switch for our users. We run 2-3 Vlan's on these switches, but all ports on the switch are access mode. We also use a Riverbed (network accellerator) on the user networks. The attached layout shows cabling layout and vlan association. Here is the configs  we have for our access switches.

Globally

spanning-tree mode rapid-pvst

spanning-tree portfast default

spanning-tree extend system-id

spanning-tree vlan 2-3 priority 24576

Interfaces 1 & 2

switchport access vlan 3

switchport mode access

switchport port-security

switchport port-security mac-address sticky

no cdp enable

spanning-tree bpdufilter enable

spanning-tree bpduguard enable

spanning-tree guard root

Interfaces 47 & 48

switchport access vlan 98

switchport mode access

no cdp enable

From my understanding running portfast on a port disables spanning-tree and the portfast default command enables it on all access ports which all of the ports on these switches are. Besides trunking ports, which we dont do, arent all ports on a switch layer 2 access ports? If so, why would you enable portfast and stp globally? Wont portfast override and cancel out STP? Also, isn't overkill or unneccessary to run bpdufilter, bpduguard, & guard root on all of our ports?

**Quick note: I did some testing to see how bpdu's ran through this layout. I took off filter and guard root just leaving bpduguard on all of the ports. And ports 47 (Riverbed WAN) and port 1 (Riverbed LAN) kept err-disabling.** None of the other ports received bpdu's**

Who Me Too'd this topic