Did you mean: 
cancel

Who Me Too'd this topic

Unstable Link on SF100D-05

hdanetadmin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

We considered using the SF100D-05 Switches in small offices with an insufficient amount of network jacks. However, it appears that this switch-series is faulty. In the combination of new MSI-mainboards with Realtek network chipset, the link to the client is extremely unstable. I am not talking about one computer on one switch. The Problem occurs on every SF100D-switch with every new computer equipped with the aforementioned mainboard on our campus. Older computers or mainboards from other vendors are not affected. Also, any other low-price desktop-switch we use (Digitus, LevelOne, etc.) is working fine while the SF100D induces link-flaps on the mentioned machines.

The problem in detail:

Connecting a new, freshly installed, computer (with MSI-mainboard and Realtek network chipset) with the switch. The Link comes up and the computer has access to the network. After approx. 30-60 sec. the link gets down. (both link LEDs go off and the networkconnection is offline) After another 1-2 sec. the Link comes up again and network is working fine till the next 30-60 sec. Then the problem repeats.

The time between two link-downs decreases with higher network traffic. While downloading large amounts of data the link-down interval is reduced to 5-10 sec.

Setting the computers NIC to 100 Mbps full-duplex instead of Auto has no effect on the problem.

We tested the scenario with different

- switchports

- wires

- computers

- electric circuits

- offices

The behaviour is not identical to

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3143262

The Problem occurs on NICs with the following MAC-OUIs

D4:3D:7E

8C:89:A5

Here are some serial-number-ranges of our switches (SF100D-05 V02):