cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel

Who Me Too'd this topic

Smart Install VLAN creation.

Hi All,

I have been having a play with Smart Install, and it's working fairly well and I am looking to implement in our production environment. The only thing that I find annoying is that when I have all the vlan config in my smart install configuration file; ie:

vlan 324

name STD_STAFF

!

vlan 125

name STUDENT

!

etc...

After the switch load the config and reboots all the VLAN configuration is gone, and I have VLAN's with names like Vlan324 if there were access ports configured to that VLAN. I'm guessing because config gets copied into startup config, however only when it is put into running config is vlan.dat updated on the switch and upon reboot startup_config must get ignored or superseeded by the config of vlan.dat. Since my VLAN's aren't in there new ones get created as needed, and of course a bunch of vlan's are left operating on the trunk, but disabled as they are not defined in the switch.

Does anyone know of an easy way to fix this, perhaps a command that will force creation of vlan.dat based on the startup config? The only guess I have so far is to try and have a line in the Smart Install config to copy startup-config running-config during smart install and hope that this will create the VLAN's and the needed vlan.dat file. But I'm yet to test this, possibly on Monday.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Though using VTP isn't currently something I am entertaining.

Thanks,

Kevin-John

Who Me Too'd this topic