Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel

Who Me Too'd this topic

LMS: 4.2.3/4 patch install hangs at Copying files

ghenning.mil
Level 1
Level 1

On multiple installation attempts of LMS 4.2.3 and 4.2.4 onto an existing (stable) LMS 4.2.2 the installation starts running OK, but then hangs at some point in the copying files section.  There are no error messages and we can't find any log entries that state what the last successful file copy was nor if there is a file that is being prevented from overwriting, it just sits there and churns.  CPU usage is about 48% (+/-5%) and will keep on doing that for as long as we let it.  Actually allowed this to run for 24 hours, and it maintained the same conditions.  We kill the update processes, and do a daemon start.  Everything comes up and appears to operate correctly.  The Software Update within LMS still shows version 4.2.2, but if we attempt to re-install 4.2.4, it says it is already installed.  We have tried to do a re-installation, and get the same results: hang during "copying files".

Details on installation enviroment:

- Windows 2008 (RTM and R2 versons) OS 64-bit fully patched and joined to AD domain.  GPOs are supposed to be kept to bare minimum and only address mandatory organizational security compliance on the server's OU, but we have experienced the same problems with non-AD-joined test attempts as well.  AV service has been disabled during upgrade attempts (not just stopped from doing on-demand scans).  Running McAfee HBSS framework, patched, but with AV service disabled during upgrade.  Verified service is still disabled when hang happens.

- LMS 4.2 installed OK, LMS 4.2.2 patch installed OK, system allowed to discover network, jobs run, reports operating as expected.  All under the same AD/GPO/McAfee configuration as the 4.2.3/4 attempts that hang.

- Have attempted fresh builds going LMS 4.2 -> 4.2.2 -> 4.2.4 without allowing the system to settle/discover or do any tasks.  Still get the hang.

- Have even tried putting "everyone" group full access on the CSCOpx directory just to see if it's a file permissions issue, and I get the same hang.

- Have validated that all LMS-related tasks were stopped prior to beginning upgrade attempts.

- Have rebooted server with LMS daemon set to manual so no LMS services start before attempting upgrade.

This has happened on multiple campuses within this organization with different local admins working the keyboard and different physical hardware, all following the same build process that produced working LMS 4.2.2 builds.  I can get these installations to 4.2.2 every single time, but they just don't seem to want to take 4.2.3 or 4.2.4.

Any got an idea?

Who Me Too'd this topic