Did you mean: 
cancel

Who Me Too'd this topic

Cisco vs. Extreme Networks?

lisacoody
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I work at a junior college with 1 main campus and 3 satellite campuses. We're a Cisco shop - switches, routers, ASAs, VOIP, wireless - but most of our gear is either end of life or will be there soon. A few of my colleagues don't like paying for Smartnet coverage and have been getting quotes from Extreme Networks just for comparison. I keep telling them that there's more to consider than just cost. The gear we have has run SOLID for the past 7 years and whenever there's been a problem, I can call TAC and typically have the problem fixed within 24 hours at most. I love having TAC behind me when there's a problem. I don't feel nearly as confident if we go the Extreme Networks path.

Our network is EIGRP and I suspect will have to be totally re-engineered if we switch (the thought of that keeps me awake at night...). I'd like to hear from others who have experience with Extreme about their support.

What sort of issues are we likely to run into if we begin migrating away from Cisco? If we do, it won't be a total network forklift - it will be a gradual shift over the 10 years.

Your advice and thoughts are much appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Who Me Too'd this topic