Did you mean: 
cancel

Who Me Too'd this topic

RV320 SSL VPN ActiveX and Virtual Passage driver on Windows 7 64-bit

dancrichton
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

My company has just purchased a new RV320 router and only afterwards found out from the release notes that there are issues with the SSL VPN in this unit and other small business routers. Is there any news on when these issues will be fixed?

1) ActiveX controls have expired certificate dated 24/9/14 - this prevents them from running unless without changing IE security settings to prompt or allow unsigned controls, which is a big security risk.

2) ActiveX controls do not work on Windows 64-bit. Release notes state Windows 7 IE10 and Windows 8.1 IE11, however they also fail on Windows 7 IE11. Even adding router to Trusted Sites to force 32-bit mode results in error message stating that IE is required for the controls.

3) Virtual Passage driver will not install - crashes IE10/IE11 with a BEX violation.  From a dig around the web it appears that the Netgear SRX5308 uses the same Cavium chipset and a Virtual Passage driver that works with Windows 7 64-bit, and installs fine using IE10/11 (and if you install the Netgear driver it works with the Cisco RV routers too, proving that the driver is fully compatible...) - if Netgear can get this working, why can't Cisco?

I've only just started setting us this router and show stopper issues like this might end up with an RMA being requested as it appears to be unsuitable for purpose, already run into other issues with I've posted about. :(

EDIT: Got (2) sort of working on IE11 - seems that the Cisco interface is specifically looking for old style IE user agent strings, so using developer tools to set the user agent to IE9, and changing security settings in Trusted Sites to prompt for unsigned controls (due to issue (1)), allows the controls to install and load. These issues are pretty simple to fix, requiring just a string check change and updated signed controls. Fingers crossed these are fixed in the new firmware due soon, awaiting response from Cisco support to my open ticket.

Looks like (3) is prevented from working by (1), and also because the certificate has expired it is treated as software without a valid publisher which cannot be installed in Windows 7 without fiddling in the registry. Releasing an updated version with a certificate that isn't expired should solve that issue too.

These are ridiculously simple fixes to push out, I can't believe a major hardware vendor like Cisco hasn't already solved these issues.

Who Me Too'd this topic