cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel

Who Me Too'd this topic

ASA 5506 Serial Numbers

I do a lot of my work as a consultant remotely.  So when I need to submit a TAC case on a piece of gear, it is handy to be able to do a "show version" to get the serial number of a device to open a TAC case for my customer.  Sometimes the sites are closed and no one is even on site.

I just ran into an issue with the new ASA 5506 units where the "show version" serial number is different than the serial number on the sticker on the outside.   Since the sticker was used to register SMARTnet by the distributor when purchased, the ability to get support can be "difficult" when you only have the "show version" number.

In researching this here, I see others seeing this issue many years ago with some ASAs and some saying the "show version" number is the "motherboard serial number" used for software upgrades and the "chassis serial number" is on the outside.  Some said that a software fix (before 9.x) corrected this and either both were shown or just the "chassis" was shown.

Is this intentional?  Is this a software bug?   I am running 9.3 (according to "show version" but maybe that is wrong too ... LOL), shouldn't that be fixed or is the bug back?

Who Me Too'd this topic