Did you mean: 
cancel

Who Me Too'd this topic

Clients disconnect 8.0.140.0

eglinsky2012
Level 3
Level 3

Hi everyone,

I came across an issue with the 8.0.140.0 firmware on our WLC and thought I'd ask to see if anyone else has experienced it or if it's a known issue.

As background info, we had release 8.0.121.0 running on a 5508 WLC with a mix of 3500, 3600, and 3700 APs. Two SSIDs are 802.1x, one is PSK. We peak at around 1900 clients across 40 APs. One DHCP/NPS server.

This fall, we started using the Digium Switchvox VoIP app on iPhones, and when walking down hallways, calls would get disconnected. So I enabled 802.11r over the DS, didn't help.

Then I realized that there was a known bug with Apple devices roaming that was fixed in 8.0.140.0, so I upgraded. Then we experienced issues with devices (not sure if just the iPhones/iPads or all devices) randomly getting disconnected, and not reconnect until waiting for a minute or two. This is a school and one teacher said he had a class of 22 with no issues, then his next class that had 12 kids had 3 kids who were kicked off in the middle of class. He observed that it seemed as though a couple would get kicked off and a couple could join. We do use the default 200 client hard limit per radio, though we don't usually exceed 60 or so clients per radio (with 3700s), which still produces adequate throughput for each client.

We also have two iPads, both near low-traffic APs, and both are stationary (check-in kiosks), that kept losing connection and making the app show no connection.

I tried disabling 802.11r over the DS, then 802.11r entirely, didn't help. So, last week, I reverted to 8.0.121.0 and the problems have gone away, no other config changes. The kiosk iPads have stayed connected all week. Somehow the VoIP app doesn't drop calls anymore, either (perhaps an update to that app or the PBX fixed that issue).

So I think I'm going to stick with 8.0.121.0 for a while, but I thought I'd reach out, see if anyone else had the same experience or any idea what the issue could have been.

Who Me Too'd this topic