Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel

Who Me Too'd this topic

setup second bgp router to second ISP

Amafsha1
Level 2
Level 2

Hello, we currently have our internet router connected to 1 ISP.  We would like to purchase a second router and have it connect to a different ISP.   The 2 ISPs will not talk iBGP, but our routers will.  The attached diagram shows what the topology will hopefully look like.  We are currently getting only a default route from our ISP and will do so with the 2nd ISP.  We are trying to achieve a primary, secondary function.  The 2nd router will only serve as a backup (no load-sharing or anything) in case the 1st router dies. 

From what I understand, Local-pref marks routes we get from the ISP, so it will alter how we send our internal routes out.  We would ideally set Router1 (primary) with higher local prefence for all our internal networks and set a lower local-pref on the 2nd router to be the backup.  this would be advertised within our AS so the 2 routers know what the deal is.  Is this really all we need?  We just make a route-map that captures all the internal traffic like 10.10.10.0 and 11.11.11.0 and sets a local pref on it, right?

From what I understand, we might not really need path-prepend here since it's just what we advertise to our ISPs and since we only have a deafult route out and the ISPs don't do iBGP, I guess path-prepend might be redundant in this situation.  Please correct me.  Thank you in advance!!

Router1:

Router bgp 100

bgp log neighbor changes

neighbor router2 remote-as 100

neighbor ISP1 remote-as 200

!

ip prefix-list default-route seq 10 permit 0.0.0.0/0

!

route-map let_all_out permit 10

match ip address prefix-list deafult-route

set local prefernce 200

Router2: 

Router bgp 100

bgp log neighbor changes

neighbor router2 remote-as 100

neighbor ISP2 remote-as 300

!

ip prefix-list default-route seq 10 permit 0.0.0.0/0

!

route-map let_all_out permit 10

match ip address prefix-list deafult-route

set local prefernce 150

Is this configuration coming close to achieving what I'm looking for, or am I really off here? :)

Who Me Too'd this topic