Did you mean: 
cancel

Who Me Too'd this topic

APs show IP 0.0.0.0 and cannot be edited

mario.jost
Level 3
Level 3

Dear community

As we approach the number of 250 devices, we have some strange phenomena. Some APs are shown with IP 0.0.0.0 on the WLC.

09-08-_2018_15-21-52.jpg

Lets have a closer look onto apPWF05. It is reachable via ping, can be resolved via DNS as any other access points. CDP neighbor on the switch confirms the same ip:

Device ID: apPWF05
Entry address(es): 
  IP address: 172.16.229.32
  IPv6 address: FE80::AA9D:21FF:FE80:48B3  (link-local)
Platform: cisco AIR-CAP2602I-E-K9,  Capabilities: Trans-Bridge Source-Route-Bridge IGMP 
Interface: GigabitEthernet1/0/4,  Port ID (outgoing port): GigabitEthernet0
Holdtime : 167 sec

Version :
Cisco IOS Software, C2600 Software (AP3G2-K9W8-M), Version 15.3(3)JD4, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2017 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Fri 17-Mar-17 12:36 by prod_rel_team

advertisement version: 2
Duplex: full
Power drawn: 15.400 Watts
Power request id: 33182, Power management id: 2
Power request levels are:15400 13000 0 0 0 
Management address(es): 
  IP address: 172.16.229.32

I can even connect to the AP via SSH and login. If i reboot the access point, nothing changes with this situation. I had the same with the AP below that one. I went ahead and did a factory reset by reloading without saving the configuration. These 2 access points now seem to be hopping on and off the WLC. If i reload the Wireless -> All APs list, the count constantly switches between 248, 249 and 250. If i wanna click on one of the APs, sometimes it gives me following message:

AP doesn't exist anymore on the system. 

And if i manage to get into the settings of these APs, after changing the name or any other setting for that matter, i get following message when clicking on save:

The AP name cannot exceed 32 characters.
Error in setting AP Location
Error in setting AP Statistics Timer
Primary Controller : Unable to set controller name.
Secondary Controller : Unable to set controller name.
Tertiary Controller : Unable to set controller name.
Failed to update Link Latency
Request Failed. Disable AP before configuring country

So this just underlines the "flapping" mentioned above. We use a vWLC and are running on 8.5.120.0 since around 3 months now. We had this issue on one AP since a few weeks already, but didnt have a closer look. Yesterday, i installed a new access point in another branch office, now we have 2 of these 0.0.0.0 IP APs. It seems like there is a limitation of APs on the WLC. We installed the large image of the vWLC that should be able to handle 3000 APs. I read somewhere in the forum, that we can increase the number of APs with config ap max-count <number> command. Sadly, this command is not recognized by the WLC. But i found the command show ap max and that gives me this:

(Cisco Controller) >show ap max
Max APs Supported................................ 3000
Max AP Groups Supported.......................... 3000
Max AP join limit................................ 300

(Cisco Controller) >show license capacity
Licensed Feature    Max Count         Current Count     Remaining Count     Remaining Capacity
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AP Count            300               249               51                  2751/3000

Just adding the license situation in case this question comes up. I couldnt find any limitation of 250 in the open caveats on this firmware verison. Anyone having any ideas of what i can try to resolve this situation?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Who Me Too'd this topic