Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel

Who Me Too'd this topic

MAC addresses appear on incorrect ports

MattD2010
Level 1
Level 1

I am having a problem with several workstations not being able to access the network. Upon further investigating I found that the MAC address is appearing on different ports throughout the VLAN. The MAC may appear on different switches, and even different buildings (as long as they have ports on that VLAN). I am at a loss as to what is happening. We don't have port-security enabled on any ports and are currently using dot1x port authentication.

Example: Say "Computer A" is connected to port gi1/0/2 on switch 1 and "Computer B" is connected to port gi1/0/4 on switch 2, "Computer B" MAC address may at anytime show up on switch 1 port gi1/0/2. This will cause "Computer B" to be unable to access anything on the network as the layer 2 traffic is being passed through the wrong port.

To resolve this temporarily, I would shutdown gi1/0/2 on Switch 1 and restart the port. Then "Computer A" will appear correctly as a dynamic entry in the mac address-table, and "Computer B" will be listed on the correct interface.

When this happens the entries are listed as "Static" in the address-table.

Standard port config

------------------------
switchport access vlan XXX
switchport mode access
switchport voice vlan XXX
authentication control-direction in
authentication event fail action next-method
authentication event server dead action authorize
authentication event server dead action authorize voice
authentication event server alive action reinitialize
authentication host-mode multi-auth
authentication order dot1x mab