Did you mean: 
cancel

Who Me Too'd this topic

SSH connection not working on C9300 switch

JBlanchon
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I can't connect remotely on the management VLAN on a C9300 switch (IOS version 16.9.5), and I really can't understand because it's the only device on this site with this issue...

When I try to SSH the device, I have a "connection refused by remote host" straight away. I can ping the switch just fine from the outside, I even tested to SSH from a device in the same location and the problem is the same, so this is not a routing issue.

The SSH config is OK, I have created an RSA key, the switch has a domain-name and "ip ssh version 2" is configured.

We are using only local user/passwords to connect, so this is not a RADIUS or TACACS issue as there are none configured. Also, there are no ACLs applied on the VTYs.

As it just wouldn't work with our standard AAA template, I have someone sent on site to login via console, and remove every AAA config and just follow this Cisco doc for the most stripped down local AAA config https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9300/software/release/16-6/configuration_guide/sec/b_166_sec_9300_cg/configuring_local_authentication_and_authorization.pdf

So now, my aaa config is:

aaa new-model

!

aaa authentication login default local

aaa authorization exec default local

aaa authorization network default local

!

aaa session-id common

And my VTY config has been stripped down as well, now it's only:

line vty 0 4

transport input all

transport input all

=> one thing that's bothering me, I tried to configure "login authentication default" in the line config, the command was accepted without any error message, but it doesn't show when I do a show run.

The tech on site didn't have much time, so I couldn't have him run debugs and send me the captures.

Does anyone have any idea about what's going on? This is pretty frustrating, as the issue looks so simple, but I just can't understand why/where something so basic is failing.

Thank you,

Julien

Who Me Too'd this topic