Did you mean: 
cancel

Who Me Too'd this topic

Can the WLC capture be trusted?

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi All

I'm debugging a EAP-TLS issue at the moment, between some iPads a WLC 8540 with 8.10.181.3 and 2800 APs. 
It works with 2700 AP models on this WLC, but nearly always fails with 2800 APs.

I've now captured the radius communication between the WLC and ISE and it seems that either the WLC doesn't receive all (fragmented) packets, or the capture on the WLC is not trustworthy. The whole setup worked fine with 8.5.140.0. Disabling 802.11r (Fast Transition) didn't help. The ISE shows a lot of Radius communication, until the client starts a new session.

I've used this information for the capture: http://wifinigel.blogspot.com/2014/08/cisco-wlc-per-client-packet-capture.html

patoberli_0-1669895573628.png

On the left side is the capture from the WLC, on the right side is the capture from the firewall interface between the WLC and ASA. Please note, I didn't do the captures at the exact same time, but the symptom is the same always. ASA interface and WLC Management Interface are on the same VLAN/segment. As you can see, the third fragmented Radius packet, is either not completely captured by the WLC capture function, or indeed lost.

Have you seen something like this already?

I haven't yet had the possibility to capture on the switch where the WLC is attached to.

Thanks
Patrick

Who Me Too'd this topic