Announcements
Views
Helpful
Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

POE power budget for SG250-26P

Dear All,

i would like to know how many POE devices can be connected to SG250-26P?

The PD are IEEE 802.3af standard Class 0.

The max power for PSE is 192W as in SG250-26P datasheet. but there are 24 POE ports available in SG250-26P.

what if all 24 POE ports are populated with IEEE 802.3af standard Class 0 VoIP phones but per port power consumption from PD is less than 6W?

6 x 24 = 144 < 192W.

Any advice are highly appreciated.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Advisor

If you exceed your power budget you usually end up with ports that wont power up PoE devices.

192W / 24 ports means each port can be supplied with 8W.  It looks like you don't have an issue.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Pretty much that sounds right.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Advisor

If you exceed your power budget you usually end up with ports that wont power up PoE devices.

192W / 24 ports means each port can be supplied with 8W.  It looks like you don't have an issue.

Highlighted

Dear Philip,

Thanks a lot for your advice in here.

what i understand is IEEE 802.3af standard Class 0 device negotiate with PSE and in our case, all 24 ports will declare Class 0 and definitely it is more than 192W if all 24 devices demand 12.95W.

if i understand your reply, the initial negotiation of PD to PSE for POE classification is not defining and fixed the power for each port. if it does, only the first 12 devices will get power if these ports has higher priority than the rest.

Am i correct to say : the switch monitor only two criteria : the total port demand is more than the global power (192W) or the load per port is more than 15.4W for class 0. If one of the limit is over, it shut down the power for that port or ports. so that the display intensity and volume of the Class 0 VoIP phones as long as total power of 24 units are not more than 192.

thanks again.

Br

Joe

Highlighted

Pretty much that sounds right.

Highlighted

I cannot get my phones to work on this SG250 series , does it support POE ?