cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bandwidth monitoring

DavidMulvey
Level 1
Level 1

We have an RV220W, and struggling a little at times with our Internet connection slowing down.

The problem is, the RV220W is extremely limited in helping us diagnose what's causing the slowdown in terms of which local IP address is using up the bandwidth, or even how much bandwidth is currently being used as a whole.

We used to have a Draytek router, which provided lists of sessions by local IP address and bandwidth in use, along with graphs showing overall usage, and the most I seem to be able to get from the RV220W is a daily average...  which is almost useless in diagnosing issues.

Any tips on software out there that could be used, maybe using SNMP?  I know Cisco have some software that do exactly what I want - NetFlow - however this only works with IOS-based routers (which the RV220W isn't).

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I found it: http://www.wallwatcher1.com/

Try it and see if it helps.  There should be an option to put in the IP of the syslog server.  That would be the computer where you set up wallwatcher.

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

SamirD
Level 5
Level 5

I remember running across an old freeware product that would produce reports from the syslog entries.  See if you can find it with some searching.  It may do exactly what you want.

Thanks Samir, although despite some Googling I can't find anything, not helped by having limited (actually, none) experience with setting up syslog.  Do I need to set up a syslog server first?  How would I point the RV220W to it?

I found it: http://www.wallwatcher1.com/

Try it and see if it helps.  There should be an option to put in the IP of the syslog server.  That would be the computer where you set up wallwatcher.

Thanks Samir, I'll give it a go!

Let me know how it goes.  I've been wanting to set it up for my rv's also.