cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can a MX84 be replaced with a conventional router?

Bob Jones
Beginner
Beginner

Hi guys!

New to Meraki. Scenario is an RV park with 19 MR76 or MR86 radios (not sure which yet) and various MS switches to support the same.

The existing MX84 is a bottleneck from the outset and should never have been installed. Probably a MX105 would have been better. It looks like the MX105 is a lot of $$

I'm just at the preliminary stages of looking into this but it brings the question, can the MX84 be replaced with a conventional router or is the Meraki systems designed to lock you into their products exclusively?

Not trying to offend anyone, just new to Meraki and trying to get the lay of the land. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

@Bob Jones you can use any brand. if its fulfilling your requirement. no need to be in meraki platform. but having meraki platform will give you holistic view of traffic and management. you cannot add another brand to meraki dashboard.  

Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

@Bob Jones hi,

answer is depends on your feature requirements.

but there is long checklist. few of them as,

are you using any NGFW features in MX?

are you need remote VPN capability or Site to site VPN capability?

how many WAN / LAN links are you planning to use? and their speeds?

what is the expected throughput from device?

by answering this you can decide if you need to use MX with firewall features and sophisticated VPN features, or router with additional licensing for each feature.

Good luck
KB

Hi Kasun, thank you for the reply!

This is an RV park so the entire network is really for one thing only, providing Internet access for guests. So no VPN, anti-virus is not required and as far as firewall is concerned, as long as unsolicited WAN requests are dropped that would be sufficient, I think. As for WAN speeds, 2 GB to 5 GB would be nice.

But my question was more along the lines of, can I use any router in its place or does it have to be a Meraki product?

@Bob Jones you can use any brand. if its fulfilling your requirement. no need to be in meraki platform. but having meraki platform will give you holistic view of traffic and management. you cannot add another brand to meraki dashboard.  

Good luck
KB
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: