cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco RV016

NickMay89
Level 1
Level 1

We've just received our RV016 router and I've followed the setup procedures. However it just isn't wanting to work with the WAN connections.

I'm currently connecting through it to a switch onto a different internet connection so it's setup LAN wise.

I was wondering if from your experiences that the issue could be down to the router we're using before using the RV016 as a gateway?

The modem/router we are using is a thomson gateway one that is supplied by the ISP.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated as currently it's in a useless state, thanks.

12 Replies 12

Glenn Quesenberry
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Nick,

I assume the router is getting an Internet IP address via DHCP from the "thomson gateway", correct?  Are you getting link lights on the gateway and RV042 WAN port when connected?  You should try a warm boot by pressing the "reset" button and holding it for about 10 seconds or so and then let the router reboot.  If that does not help correct the issue then take a look at this Q/A document concerning connectivity issues on the RV016 and see if this resolution may help you.

Best Regards,

It is getting it via static details that I've input to the RV016, is this correct?

The thomson gateway is also setup with static details, maybe this is why it is getting freaked out?

I'll look through what you suggested and the link also thanks.

Should I be using the RV016 to bypass the thomson gateway then? Would that be the safest bet on how to set it up correctly?

Thanks

That all depends.  What is the WAN type you are using; Cable, DSL, what?  If the thomson device is a cable or dsl modem then you will still need that, but if your ISP is merely handing you an Ethernet drop then you could possible negate using the thomson gateway all together.  It does seem like you may have a routing issue between the two possibly.  If you are using static IP addresses make sure they are on the same network/subnet.

Best Regards,

It is DSL we're using and the IP for the thomson has been set as 192.168.0.222 and the RV016 has been told to use 192.168.0.123.

The RV016 does see the local network as I'm connecting to another one of our connections 192.168.0.111 which is on the top floor of the office.

It just seems to be an issue from when I plug the ethernet cable coming from the thomson into the RV016 WAN1 port.

Thanks

Basically I'll just explain what we want which might help you with your next response.

We want the RV016 to have 3 internet connections attached and then the RV016 will go out to pcs directly as well as through switches to some users in the office.

The RV016 itself should be the machine that allocates lan IP's.

What would be the best way about achieving this?

Thanks

I was responding to your earlier response when you replied back again.  Please see my previous reply and respond.

thanks!

Is this setup in "Gateway" mode or "Router" mode?  This should be under "Setup>Advanced Routing".

It's currently in gateway mode however I did have it in router mode earlier but not for long, is there any other changes that'd need to be made for it to operate in router mode and would router mode be the correct procedure for how it's currently setup?

From your description it seems the RV016 should be set up in "gateway" mode, but I would have assumed that it would be getting an IP address from the thomson DSL modem but you've stated it's set up static.  I also assume you have the RV016 set up as a DHCP server handing out IP addresses to the LAN devices, correct?  I'm not seeing why you would not have Internet connectivity but this is becoming challenging to troubleshoot via this method.  I think you may want to contact the SBSC at this point and speak with an engineer on the phone to help you further diagnose this issue.  You can reach them at the number(s) listed on their page here.

Regards,

Will do, one last thing which I think might be the issue. Should the modems be on a different IP range to the RV016?

Thanks

That all depends.  Usually the DSL modem will have the outside interface to the ISP in their network range and then it will be routing or even natting the indside private address range for your network.  It really all depends on how your specific situation is configured and an engineer from the Small Business Support Center will be able to help you figure that out on the phone.