cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Communication between two routers rv180

Eababio
Level 1
Level 1

I have to rv180 routers I will like to use in two locations several kilometres apart. The routers have public addresses and will like to connect our private network to each other

Site A has 

Router wan 10.156.1.1

Lan 192.168.1.1

Pc on lan 192.168.1.2

Site B

Router wan 10.156.2.1

Lan 192.168.2.1

Pc on lan 192.168.2.2

How do I set up routing for this?

To test the routing before taking them to the sites,can I use cross over cable to connect the two routers ?

2 Replies 2

raluani
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,
My name is Rozana and i am an engineer from the SMB team.

First, I suppose those WAN addresses will not be the ones that you will use on site, as they are private.

Second, you can just create a GW -to- GW VPN to connect both sites. ( you must have static public addresses on the WANs for this)

You can test this also in you lab, but you need a device in between that will be the "Cloud" and will transfer one connected network to the other ( 10.156.2.0 /24 to 10.156.1.0/24 ).

Usually i use a switch with 2 VLANs and intervlan routing.
I connect Router 1 to port 1 in VLAN 1 of the switch and Router 2 on port 2 in VLAN 2.
The switch has 2 interfaces - one for each VLAN :
Example:
Interface for VLAN 1: 10.156.1.2/24  (add this as a GW for R1)
Interface for VLAN 2 : 10.156.2.2/24 (add this as a GW for R2)
When intervlan routing is enabled the switch will connect those 2 networks,
and you can test the VPN.

You can verify the connectivity by disabling the firewall for the test and pinging the WAN IPs.

In real life, if you have 2 RVs with global IP addresses, then you will have a route from one to the other without having to setup anything.
The only thing that you can not do is access the LAN side from outside.
Even with having the firewall disabled i doubt you will succeed in real life situations, that is why i recommend using Gateway to Gateway VPN.

Regards.

Thanks for your answe.actually we trying to root through a companies wan intranet. They already have routers and stuff to link the wan ip adresses but for our equipment we are installing using 192.168.0.0 range they want us to to use the rvm to connect them directly without disturbing their internal routers.