cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

conecting the 7921g wireles phone to an srp527w?

Javier Mateo
Level 1
Level 1

HI

Anybody knows if it is  posible to integrate a wireless voip cisco 7921g (sccp protoclol) with  an small bussiness modem router Srp527w (sip protocol), even if if  is  by conecting another device (like an access point)  between both? I know  skiny is cisco property and sip is an open source protocol, so I do not  unterstand why cisco does not implement the skinny protocol in his  Srp527w.

Thank you

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Javier, the reason being, most of the Cisco small business product line does not support any Cisco proprietary protocols with the exception of CDP. The 7921 phone is considered an "enterprise phone" and is supported by Cisco TAC, not the SBSC.

The SRP is considered an IAD which can register analog phones to a SIP provider while also using local telco access integrated as a DSL termination and servicing as a router.

As discussed earlier, you should have no issues to wireless connect the phone to the SRP. But you will have problems using the signaling protocol.

Andrew Hickman may have some better information than myself. I will hit him up and see if he has a more clear or better information than what I am providing.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

View solution in original post

Hi Javier,

Tom is correct with his answer above.  The thing you have to remember is that the SRP is a SIP client which registers to a service provider call control platform for voice services.  Technically, the SRP actually contains two SIP clients, one for each voice port. 

This is analagous to the 7921.  This is also a client, which registers to a Cisco Communications Manager installation for its voice service.

As Tom says, you should have no issue with associating the 7921 with the SRP520 wireless access point.

Presumably then, you will be associating with a Communications Manager platform at some remote site - use a VPN connection from the SRP to that site to run the signalling over in that case.

The thing you certainly can't do - even if the 7921 did support SIP - is register it to the SRP to make calls.

Hope that helps,

Regards,

Andy

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Javier, the reason being, most of the Cisco small business product line does not support any Cisco proprietary protocols with the exception of CDP. The 7921 phone is considered an "enterprise phone" and is supported by Cisco TAC, not the SBSC.

The SRP is considered an IAD which can register analog phones to a SIP provider while also using local telco access integrated as a DSL termination and servicing as a router.

As discussed earlier, you should have no issues to wireless connect the phone to the SRP. But you will have problems using the signaling protocol.

Andrew Hickman may have some better information than myself. I will hit him up and see if he has a more clear or better information than what I am providing.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Thank you again for your answer.

I do not think I achive to use this phone with the Srp, but I am still investigating. I have seen in some post that cisco is going to deliver a new firmware with Sip support for the 7921g, but that is not clear. In the other hand, I have found that Asterisk could support sccp protocol, but that is not clear either, and I have just started reading it.

Javier

Hi Javier,

Tom is correct with his answer above.  The thing you have to remember is that the SRP is a SIP client which registers to a service provider call control platform for voice services.  Technically, the SRP actually contains two SIP clients, one for each voice port. 

This is analagous to the 7921.  This is also a client, which registers to a Cisco Communications Manager installation for its voice service.

As Tom says, you should have no issue with associating the 7921 with the SRP520 wireless access point.

Presumably then, you will be associating with a Communications Manager platform at some remote site - use a VPN connection from the SRP to that site to run the signalling over in that case.

The thing you certainly can't do - even if the 7921 did support SIP - is register it to the SRP to make calls.

Hope that helps,

Regards,

Andy

Thank you both for the explanation. I see voip is more complicated that what I thought. I have readen about Call Manager, but it is for enterprise propose, and mine is a home lab propose really, having for that a DSL with splitter conventional line.

I guess I cannot connect by vpn to a Communications Manager plattform, becouse it is a private service. Anyway thank you and would apreciate any other advise if posible to solve this cuestion, that I see is not going to be posible by the moment I think.

Thanks

Javier

No problem Javier,

If you had a standard SIP phone connected to the SRP500 - perhaps like the SPA525G2 or SPA504 - then this could register to a network VoIP service through (but not to) the SRP.

Regards,

Andy