Views
Helpful
Replies

elementary configuration on rv082

npsatel373
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Guys,

I am setting up a SBS 2011 Essentials sever using a rv082 router. I have a decent understanding of how everything is suppose to work, but execution has been sloppy. My aim is to set up a central storage location, back up services, remote access and VPN.  Yesterday I had set up dhcp and dns roles on the sever, configed port forwarding and firewall setting on the router, at that point I was just bouncing around everywhere trying to get stuff to work, clearly not the best way I know. Before I left I reinstalled sbs for a couple of reason, along with resetting the router to default. I would really appreciate if you guys could help me get things set up.

Thanks,

Niraj 

1 Reply 1

davidagu
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Niraj,

Thanks for writing. Basic setup of the RV082 from its default state is straightforward. You can break the process down into several steps:

• Configure the WAN Connection: In its default state, the RV082 is configured for a DHCP connection such as is used by a cable ISP. If you have cable, simply connect the modem to the WAN port. Under Setup, you can enable the MAC Address Clone feature by clicking "MAC Address from this PC." This is necessary for some cable connections. Additionally, under the Network tab, you can edit the configuration for WAN 1 to accept a static IP or PPPoE (DSL) connection.
  • Define LAN Parameters: Once connected to the internet, you can further customize the router by editing the DHCP scope and DNS servers. Under Network, you can enter manual DNS servers for the local network. Under the DHCP tab, you can set the DHCP mode for the network. If you want the router itself to act as the network's DHCP server, make sure the Enable DHCP Server check box is selected. If, however, you would like your SBS Server to be the DHCP server for your network, select DHCP relay and enter the IP address of the server. The router will then forward DHCP requests from devices to your SBS server.
  • Implement the FIrewall Configuration: Finally, you may wish to forward ports. This can be accomplished under Setup>Forwarding. Forwarding ports involves two steps: first, you define the service you wish to foward from the internet to your local machine. Then, you define the host to which the service is to be forwarded (in this case, the server). To define a custom port, click Service Management. Then, enter the IP address of the server, check enable, and click add to list. Make sure you save the configuration at the bottom of the page.

If you run into a specific issue or have further questions, do not hesitate to give us a call anytime at 1-866-606-1866. We would be happy to assist you.

All the best,

-David Aguilar

Cisco SBSC

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: