cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

gateway vs router setting on RVS4000

SLORILEY1
Level 1
Level 1

Can someone give me a better understanding of the difference between router and gateway? I thought the terms gateway and router were the same but this CISCO RVS4000 router has a place that you can tell it to be a "router" or a "gateway". The "help" for that setting was not helpful to this layman.

I'm trying to figure out why my router worked fine and I had no internet connectivity problems until Comcast up graded their modem to a Arris TG862G (combination wired-wireless modem-router) and now my Cisco router keeps getting disconnected from the internet, even thought it has a reserved IP address on the Comcast modem.

It's nice to be able to use the wireless portion for the cell phones and the laptops so I don't want to shut down the Modems router-gateway ability but the 5 towers, 2 printers and other machines run though a switch and the CISCO router. They need to be hard wired due to distance, connectivity and security. I was investigating this problem when I ran across this setting with nothing checked in either box and wondered if it could have a bearing on the problem. Considered checking 1 at random but I'd rather not have to reset the Cisco router back to new and reenter every thing.

0 Replies 0