cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to configure an RV0XX router for VPN access from an iPhone running iOS 10 (no PPTP support)

O Bart
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've been successfully using a PPTP VPN to connect my iPhone to my home network.

With the release of iOS 10, PPTP was removed due to security reasons.

As the iPhone supports plenty more secure options (CISCO IPsec, L2TP as well as Cisco's AnyConnect app) I want to know which settings are required to get VPNs up and running between iOS 10 and RV042.

My setup is Static IP on Router side and dynamic IP on mobile side.

Best regards and thanks for helping me out!

Oliver

8 Replies 8

jonrodr2
Level 1
Level 1

Hello My name is Jonathan, and i am one of the Engineers here at Cisco SBSC,

Basically the other way to configure the router in order to be able to connect from the iphone, would be to set a client to gateway tunnel, for this you have to use the client software already on the phone, for this you can choose the settings either tunnel or group vpn, basically the difference is that tunnel is going to be for 1 connection while the group option can let you use the same username and pass for different users.

if you need further assistance feel free to call us. thanks

https://supportforums.cisco.com/community/4626/small-business-service-and-support-country

Regards.

Hey Jonathon,

I understand that this method works for a mac using a 3rd party client software.  I don't see how or where you set the client up on an ipad.  Under vpn, which options do you select on the ipad?  I don't see how any of those client options have options for phase1, phase2, etc.  I do have a client to gateway tunnel setup on my rv042.  Thx.

Hi Jonathon,

I am sure a lot of people they use PPTP with iPhone is waiting your reply on this. 

Hi Cisco/Jonathan,

No more PPTP in IOS10 so how do we connect to our RV042G by VPN ?

If not possible please also let us know so we can move on to another router that does support this...

Hello Cisco,

Can you please reply?

Do you have a reply Jonathon ?

I had opened a ticket for this topic already in March 2016 as I wanted to use iOS with IPSEC VPN (RV082) for security reasons.

The outcome at this time in short was though that was no solution to get that running.

If this didn't change since then (latest firmware seems to be from 12-NOV-2015 so I doubt) then there probably is indeed no way to get that working.

Not sure if it's even considered EOL by Cisco so no further support...

Chris

haig sarkissian
Level 1
Level 1

Can someone at CISCO let us know if it is possible to configure IPSec on an RV082 so that it works with an Apple IOS10 device?