cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Lack of RV340 Replacement

JasonReg416LGK
Level 1
Level 1

So we are approaching inside 3 months until the last software support date for RV340 and still no replacement.  There were rumors (or maybe just wishes?) about a CBR line replacement but I cannot find anything.  I am not interested in Meraki line ...... am I out of affordable options with Cisco?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

CoreyP319
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello all,

There is currently no CBR in development at this time, there are decisions being made by management regarding this line. As far as I have heard, the recommendation is to go with Meraki Go. I know that wont be helpful to all use cases. I'd love to see a multi-gig product here though. 

Thanks,

Corey

View solution in original post

JasonReg416LGK
Level 1
Level 1

Well, just to close the loop I have moved to pfSense and a Netgate 6100 device (2 x 1GB Combo ports, 2 x 10GB SFP ports and 4 x 2.5GB RJ45 ports all configurable as WAN or LAN as desired). Getting 1.9GB downloads with pfBlocker and Snort enabled.  Was a bit of a learning curve but there is exceptional help on line and plenty of documentation avail to get you going.  Could not be happier with the results.  

RV340 is now collecting dust on the shelf.  Cisco has now lost me for good I think.

View solution in original post

24 Replies 24

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- FYI : https://community.cisco.com/t5/small-business-routers/are-there-any-alternatives-for-the-rv34x-series-now-that-they/td-p/4522211

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Yes, I had seen that almost a year ago.  The point of my question is, will there be a CBR (style) replacement as previously rumored or has Cisco abandoned the notion in favor of other solutions.

Jitendra Kumar
Spotlight
Spotlight

Maybe - will take a look but at first glance looks much more complex then the RV Series routers.  Will do some research.

JasonReg416LGK
Level 1
Level 1

So ....... cricket, cricket .......

Is it safe to assume Cisco is abandoning this segment?

In my experience, both at the SOHO level as well as in the enterprise space (CCNP 2021), yes they are exiting this market segment. There are currently lower-cost-ish newer Firepower C10xx models, that are priced a bit higher than the SMB firewalls and have at least some basic level of router/VPN functionality available, but are slightly more complex and are intended more as an NGFW platform, so think oriented towards paid subscriptions for scanning/performace (and IMO Fortinet has been kicking more butt at this level for many years).  These are as close as I expect Cisco to servicing this market. For sure I don't expect any newer devices with the same level of price point, capability and lack of licensing that the RV34xx devices had.

Look elsewhere, friend. Ubiquiti, Mikrotik, Zyxel, etc.....

Sadly, I almost clicked on this response as "Accept as Solution" - meaning of course, there is no solution.  Fingers crossed but not holding my breath any longer.

GKToronto
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for starting another thread on this topic. There was another thread at:

https://community.cisco.com/t5/small-business-routers/all-cisco-rv-routers-eol-perhaps-new-cbr-line-coming/td-p/4500232

where "nbutlev" (from Cisco) said "The new business routers release has been announced for this autumn."

but then when I asked for a link to the announcement, there was no reply (yet). Here in Canada, Bell just announced 8 Gbps FTTH is coming soon (in Toronto). All I want is a future-proof (say 3 to 5 years of support) dual WAN router, so I can have failover to a backup connection). At least 1 Gbps WAN, but if they can handle 2.5, 5, or even 10 Gbps, even better. And preferably under $1K (under $500 even better!). The RV340 & 345 models have been fine (they top out at 1Gpbs), but the end-of-life concerns me greatly --- if they would just support it with security updates until the new models are released, that would be acceptable. (and then I won't have to shop for a different brand)

Take my money, please! (LOL)

Agree with you in regards to performance, the one bright spot in the RV34xx has been the IPsec performance - 750-800mbps on average for us, certainly when they were released it was quite difficult to find something with that level of throughput outside of custom-built firewalls which are a non-starter in many business scenarios.

When it comes to new devices in the line I'll believe it when I see them

I agree - with a Rogers 1 Gbps service the Rv340 has been perfect and rock solid.  It is just so frustrating to not have a peep out of the company regarding a replacement.  I will keep it to the end of service date but not for much afterwards - just too many things that can go sideways these days so quickly.  

JasonReg416LGK
Level 1
Level 1

So curious where folks are migrating to.  I am going around in circles but need to make some decisions soon.  Any thoughts from those who have replaced the RV34X routers?  

Personally I have been very happy with the smaller Fortinet Fortigate firewalls - I ran a 30E for many years, now am on a 40F. You do have to pay for firmware updates, but if that's all you want it's about $100-200/year per device. They are much more capable devices than the Cisco RVs, technically in the "NGFW" category, so they can do in-depth scanning of all the traffic for security. Those scanning services cost extra per year as well, but they include firmware updates. I think I reupped all of the subscriptions for about $300/year/device. The devices will still function even if you don't pay for/configure the security services. Equivalent devices from other manufacturers include Sonicall TZ, Watchguard Firebox, and Sophos XG.

For something cheaper with mainly just routing/VPN/etc, the Mikrotik Hex S is a nice cheap ~$90 device, not as high throughput as the Cisco on IPsec but it checks a lot of the boxes. Their CLI is rough, however, very proprietary syntax.

JasonReg416LGK
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for that post.  Yes, Fortinet is one of the solutions I am looking at closely.  

CoreyP319
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello all,

There is currently no CBR in development at this time, there are decisions being made by management regarding this line. As far as I have heard, the recommendation is to go with Meraki Go. I know that wont be helpful to all use cases. I'd love to see a multi-gig product here though. 

Thanks,

Corey

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: