Views
Helpful
Replies

Looking for good firewall/router solution

Tommy Svensson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

Im setting up a network and im wondering wich type of device i should use. The question is if i should use a firewall and a layer 3 switch for inter VLAN routing or if i should use a router solution with built-in firewall (like zone-based) and just layer 2 switches.

Demands on the equipment:

NAT
Some QoS (dont really know on what level of complexity its going to demand, proberbly very low, just some form of QoS)
Firewall solution
Cost balancing or something between two Internet connections. So that traffic running on one can jump over i case of connection failing.
4 gigabit interfaces (RJ45 should work but if i can get better for reasonable price im going with it).

Hoping to get som input on this matter.

Regards Tommy Svensson

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

David Carr
Level 6
Level 6

Tommy,

An ideal solution for what your looking for would be either the rv120, wrvs4400n, or Sa500 series router and possibly an SG300 series switch in layer 2 mode.  This will allow the router to cover the vlan setup and intervlan routing if need be.  The switch will allow you to configure qos and you can trust the qos coming into the router on the lan side.

The other option you could get gigibit router and put the sg300 series switch in layer 3 mode and let it handle the vlans and qos at that point.  The only thing about this setup, any router that is gigibit we have will be able to facilitate vlans and inter-vlan routing.

Hope this gave you some ideas as to designing the network.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

David Carr
Level 6
Level 6

Tommy,

An ideal solution for what your looking for would be either the rv120, wrvs4400n, or Sa500 series router and possibly an SG300 series switch in layer 2 mode.  This will allow the router to cover the vlan setup and intervlan routing if need be.  The switch will allow you to configure qos and you can trust the qos coming into the router on the lan side.

The other option you could get gigibit router and put the sg300 series switch in layer 3 mode and let it handle the vlans and qos at that point.  The only thing about this setup, any router that is gigibit we have will be able to facilitate vlans and inter-vlan routing.

Hope this gave you some ideas as to designing the network.