cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

only 1.1.1.06 code works?!

anthonya11
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I'm having an issue with my RV320 i thought was fixed. i had a previous post about it but i have more info that makes this a very strange issue. So the basics of it are every so often, under a day, usually a few hours, my rv320's wan link stops passing traffic. I've swapped out units, gotten a new cable modem, changed wiring, etc. no go. well finally i got things 100% stable on code 1.1.1.06. NO OTHER VERSION of code works. this version works perfectly fine. while its obvious that if it works don't upgrade i would love to know whats so different from this and every single other version. every time i upgrade it takes a few hours then i get a disconnected (but the interface is still active) on the wan interface. i factory default each time and just enter the config as basic as i can as to not introduce too many variances. anyone, specifically cisco, have any idea what this might be? why this one version works perfectly fine but not the others? I'm primarily concerned about security as this is old code and i don't know what i might be missing in newer versions. thank you!

6 Replies 6

Jasonanouk1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Anthony;

I am currently setting up my second RV325, which has firmware 1.1.1.06.

The first one was sent replaced by Cisco under warrant as it was consistently dropping packets. I had updated that one to FW 1.2.1.13. I'm not sure if the issue was caused bythe firmware or was a hardware issue. So I am in two minds about updating this one...or just leaving it as is. I haven't connected it to my network as yet.

You say NO other versions work...what other versions did you try?

i tired all of them, specifically:

Each has the exact same issue. after a few hours, the wan interface stopped routing traffic. i didn't see any dropped packets, it just said interface connected(inactive) and wouldn't come back unless i rebooted it or changed the interface speed. i even setup a switch between it and my cable modem. no dice. same thing each time. out of luck, 1.1.1.06 worked. and has worked for months. I'm just concerned I'm missing security updates by not staying up to date. also the syslog doesn't indicate if it is blocking or allowing, but i can live with that.... also i sent my unit back for a replacement, exact same thing. i know there is an issue in the code, must be particular to my situation with time warner and their routers, but i can't fix it. its clearly a code bug.... i opened a case about it a few months ago but i couldn't get any tier 3 traction on it.

Thanks for the info.

I didn't know you could downgrade firmwares like that...you literally tried them all.

I'd just like to add... we have several customer sites with rv320's--Comcast biz, static IP on WAN... same problem.  We intermittently see WAN1 disconnect from the Internet and show 'inactive'. The only solution seems to be to restart. (which sucks from customer perspective). I've had Comcast biz support replace their gateway... from SMC to NG3000.. .same issue.

I've seen this problem discussed on several threads. Other non-Cisco devices work.  This has got to be solved with a fw update. PLEASE Cisco find a solution and update firmware, or give us some setting workaround for this.

In our case we are using and setting up only single WAN1 use. Doesn't seem to matter which of the last 2 fw versions--we used both.

Just frustrating since some sites work flawless... others don't with the RV320 and 1.1.1.06 or 1.2.1.13. We all hate the word intermittent. But not as much as the customer that calls YOU to tell you he's not pleased with the network ug you did a month ago.

Chet Prokop, PE, PhD
Cisco Select Partner
SMB - IT and Telecom Services
Houston, TX

Just to let you know I have resolved my problem, with te help of Cisco support.

My solution was to put a mini switch in between the DSL connection and the WAN 1 port on the router. I have also updated o the latest firmware. 1.2.1.13. I suspect in my case it's some incompatibility with my ISP and the router that was causing the drop connections. The stability of the latest firmware I'm sure helped as well.

Rock Solid!

No problems at all.

i tried putting a switch between them but no luck. the only lead i have is it is related to dhcp/autonegotiation. i have suspicions as to whats going on but all i can prove is it breaks when one or the other happens. what blows my mind is that it works just fine on this ONE code. id like to upgrade to get new features but stability is first with me.... I'm hoping someone from cisco catches this and finds the bug.... thanks for the suggestions though! all are welcome!