Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Port forwarding using both WAN 1 and 2.

Dears,

Currently I have the RV042 router working in a dual WAN set up, it is configured to accept connections on numbers of ports like 80,443, 25 and forward them to a local ip.

The problem is this only works with WAN1.

Is it even possible to forward ports for connections coming in over WAN2?

Regards,

Muhannad

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Muhannand, the confusion seems apparent. When using 2 WAN connection with load balance the OUTBOUND connections will share traffic over each WAN. If you use smartlink backup, then only the primary WAN is active until failure of that connection.

For port forwarding, if you want an inbound connection for 2 WAN simultaneously then you would need to be using load balance mode.

Now, if you have the complication that you require a specific service such as HTTPS (443) time out then this is when you using protocol bind to force an OUTBOUND connection over 1 WAN port.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

jonatrod
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Muhannad, thank you for using our forum, my name is Johnnatan I am part of the Small business Support community. Yes, you can bind ports to one WAN connection,  you can configure a  "protocol binding". Bellow you can see the link with the information to configure it in your device.

http://www6.nohold.net/CiscoSB/Loginr.aspx?login=1&pid=2&app=search&vw=1&articleid=622

You will set the Steps in "Add Protocol Binding"

I hope you find this answer useful

“Please rate useful posts so other users can benefit from it”

Greetings, 
Johnnatan Rodriguez Miranda.
Cisco Network Support Engineer.

“Please rate useful posts so other users can benefit from it” Greetings, Johnnatan Rodriguez Miranda. Cisco Network Support Engineer.

Thank you for the reply.

Port forwarding is working fine with the 2 WAN interfaces but my client is complaining that the one of the WAN is not opertional because each time they check "what is my IP", we always keep getting the same IP address of WAN 2.

Eventhough i am able to see that the interface sent packets keep increasing.

Please advise why i keep getting the same IP address of WAN 2 not both of them?

Regards,

Muhannad

Hi,

How is configured Dual-WAN - Smart Link or Load Balancing?

If it is Load Balancing, than do you have protocol binding configured?

Also, do you have Bandwith Management Configured?

Best Regards,

Kremena

Hi,

It is load balancing and we have protcol binding only for the FTP not HTTP.

No, we dont have the BW management configured, as i have mentioned above, i am able to see the packet sent increasing in both interfaces but when the customer test the connection from his machine using "What is my IP sites", he always get the IP address of one of the interfaces not both of them.

Regards,

Muhannad

Hi Muhannand, the confusion seems apparent. When using 2 WAN connection with load balance the OUTBOUND connections will share traffic over each WAN. If you use smartlink backup, then only the primary WAN is active until failure of that connection.

For port forwarding, if you want an inbound connection for 2 WAN simultaneously then you would need to be using load balance mode.

Now, if you have the complication that you require a specific service such as HTTPS (443) time out then this is when you using protocol bind to force an OUTBOUND connection over 1 WAN port.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/