cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

QuickVPN and RV180 fail 'out of the box'

cefalany
Level 1
Level 1

We were having VPN problems so I purchased a RV180 to replace my older RVS4000 on the advice of Cisco support.

The problem appears to be the RV180 does not work with QuickVPN out of the box.

I have searched a number of Cisco sites and find many contradictory documents.  Searching the Internet with Google provides even more documents.  Can anyone refer me to a single document, preferably by Cisco, that contains the configuration information necessary to use QuickVPN with the RV180?

Background -  I'm trying to use a Cisco RV180 at current firmware level with two test computers, a Windows XP home and a Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.  Both show the same error which leads me to believe the issue is with the RV180.

Thanks

5 Replies 5

cefalany
Level 1
Level 1

The last few lines of the QuickVPN log on the Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 says:

Remote gateway was reached by https ...

Remote gateway wasn't reached ...

Failed to connect.

Failed to connect!

Note:  The remote computer can ping the RV180

Remember enable WAN remote device admin on port 443.
Good Luck. I've leaved my out of the box rv180 on the dusty shelf. Open the wan admin port to enable vpn is inadmisible in any business. Even in home.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Thanks. I talked with Cisco tech support. We are checking with our local White Hats to try to hack the RV180 before proceeding to use it in production. If Cisco has performed this testing, I can't find a reference.
Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

I wonder if any Cisco Security types watch these discussions??  If so, their input would be appreciated.

Windows XP is unusable as a remote client since QuickVPN requires ALL firewalls to be disabled.

Windows 7 Pro seems to work well with as a remote Client using QuickVPN with both Windows Firewall and Kaspersky enabled.  It connects easily with our printers.  We are still having problems with Windows 7 Pro peers located behind the firewall.  This is probably a Microsoft issue.  One of the programs of interest is Intuit's QB Pro.

FWIW, the RV180 has held up under White Hat attack even though remote management is enabled.

Curtis,

QuickVPN works fine with Windows XP with the Windows firewall enabled. I used it for at least 3 years that way. I did have to create rules in my third party firewall software (Zone Alarm) to allow QuickVPN through. I would not recommend turning the firewall(s) off completely.

If you are still having issues, please call support and see if we can help you get it working. We troubleshoot QuickVPN cases daily and we usually find the solution quickly. The main difference between the RVS4000 and RV180 is that Remote Management needs to be enabled on the RV180.

www.cisco.com/go/sbsc  

- Marty