cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV 120W can't access internal servers by external addresses

allenmock
Level 1
Level 1

I recently cut over from a WRT54G to a RV120W.  I am having an issue where I type https://www.domainname.com

(for a server running on my network) in my web browser while on the internal network and it always comes back with the router login page.  Basically it is supposed to go out of the router and then come back in on the public IP address and hit that server.  There was a function on the WRT54G called "Filter Internet NAT redirection" which when turned off would allow this to happen.  I am not seeing a feature like this on the RV120W

This explains the feature:

http://homecommunity.cisco.com/t5/Wired-Routers/What-s-the-purpose-of-Filter-Internet-NAT-Redirection/m-p/63857

This is somebody else having the same issue:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2037079

Any assistance with resolving this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

29 Replies 29

I have the same issue of hairpinning. I'd like to see a fix too as its important for us to administer our website in house. Its silly for me to come home to access our wesite for admin purposes. I'm not so sure I could suggest to anyone to buy this product in the future. I wonder if this issue will ever be resolved, or if i need to go get a different working router from other than cisco.

***BREAKING NEWS***

Per Product Management new firmware will be available within a month (quite possibly less than a month). In the meantime, you can beta trial the firmware by opening a case with the Small Business Support Center. Tell the Support Engineer you're seeking RV120W Beta Firmware and they'll escalate your case appropriately.

We'll post the firmware release in the Support Community announcements so please stay tuned.

Thanks!

RV120W Firmware Version 1.0.2.6

Now available in Cisco Download Center.

RV120W Firmware Version 1.0.2.6

Release Notes

Thanks for your patience and continued support.

Stephanie Reaves

Cisco Small Business

Great news!  Thanks for the update Stephanie.  Unfortunately, I have moved on to the RV220W.

Do you have any updates on when the update will be available for that router?

Thanks!

Hi Allen -- RV220W firmware to resolve this issue is currently in testing. Expect a release in approximately six weeks if all goes well.

Checking now to see if you can obtain the beta firmware through Small Business Support Center.

Thanks,

Stephanie Reaves

Cisco Small Business

Hi Allen -- Regarding the RV220W, Beta Firmware 1.0.2.3 which should resolve your issue is available from the Small Business Support Center. You'll need to open a case (have your Cisco ID and product serial number handy) and then let the agent know you're requesting this beta firmware. Your case will be escalated and you'll be contacted.

Hope this helps.

Stephanie Reaves

Cisco Small Business

Thanks for the fast reply Stephanie.  I'd rather not mess with beta firmware without knowing the support boundaries.  If the unit gets bricked because of a failed update will Cisco replace it?

There is a special embedded web server in the product that allows firmware upgrade/downgrade when the regular firmware upgrade fails.

It looks like the new OS did not fix the NAT issue. I was working with one tonight that was running 1.0.2.6 and it displayed the same access issue. Is it possible that there is a filter setting similar to the one on the wrt54g that I'm missing?

Thanks

Ron, i've been speaking with Cisco support about the same issue. There is, yet another, beta firmware available that is supposed to fix the issue. I haven't gotten it yet, but plan to. In the interim, i went about setting up a local DNS server using MaraDNS, which is open source and free, on top of being fairly easy to configure. That is working as a stopgap measure. I'd reccomend giving that a shot. 1.0.2.6 does not, i repeat does not, fix the hairpinning issue. 

Scott, thanks for the heads up, looking at other firewall/router's at this point but will try the Beta as well.

-Ron

Hey Ron,

Thought i'd follow up once more. My case was escalated, and i received help to rectify the problem. You need to add an access rule. Delete the port forward you already made, then add a new access rule, inbound wan --> Lan, select which service you need to use, then Send To local Server with the IP of your server. Enable it via the dropdown box, and then save the rule. Working on my end, firmware 1.0.2.6, not a beta.

Hello Gentlemen, This is Eric Moyers, from the Cisco Small Business Support Center.

First Scott, thanks for posting the solution that the escalation team helped you with. I just also wanted to clarify for those that came into this conversation late that the 1.0.2.6 FW is for the RV120W, mentioned up further in the thread Beta FW 1.0.2.3 was mentioned, this is for the RV220W.  I just wanted everyone to remember that when going through the thread.

Scott, has this solved the issues that you were having?

If anyone has any other issue, please let us know.

Eric Moyers
Cisco Network Support Engineer
CCNA, CCNA-Wireless
1-866-606-1866

Eric,

So far so good on my end. It's odd that solution worked, considering the access rule looks like the ones created by the router when port forwards were set up. It seems to be an issue of doing those things in reverse order. Anyhow, you'll hear no complaints from me about the fact that it's working. Hoping that will help other folks too.

Thanks for the update Scott, we had the rules in place, just needed a reboot of the router to get ours working.

-Ron