Helpful
Replies

RV042 and changing the ip

alexk2011
Level 1
Level 1

Hello world.

I am seeking for assistance:

I am establishing a vpn connection (g2g) and the internal IP range we are using is 10.22.x.x. If I change the internal IP address of my RV042 to its dedicted ip address 10.22.x.254 I get a small amount of Netmasks to choose from- and of course my NM is not available which I need. The pulldown menue only allows me to choose from 255/32 til 255/24, but I need 255/22.

How do I change the Netmask?

I tried to add another ip address (and I am allowed to choose there the NM), but the port forwarding is just working for the "main" ip.

Please help!

6 Replies 6

David Carr
Level 6
Level 6

Alex,

Our Rv042 devices only support a class C Subnet and the default lan you can't change it. 

However if you go to the multiple subnets you can add another network and the router will be the gateway for that network as well.  Here you can put a class B subnet mask manually.

To do port forwarding go to the upnp tab and select the service or custom make one and put the address your forwarding to.

Great feed back, David.

So far all traffic over the VPN from or to my RV042 stops there and I can't get my traffic routed to my 10.x range.

Q1: Am I correct that my "ACCESS RULES" (Firewall) will included the multiple subnets as well and not only the default/main ip?

Q1.1: I will leave the main ip at 192.168.x.x. and added a second 10.22.16.254. Only the second one is actually needed and all port forwarding and access rules should effect the second ip. Correct?

Q2: If I ping the second ip address (10.22.16.254), I get a response. I added now a new route "ROUTE ADD -P 10.22.1.1 MASK 255.255.255.255 10.22.16.254", but get no response pinging 10.22.1.1.

I am now confused now. :-(

Thanks for the fast feed back.

-alex

For the Vpn, it will only connect to the default lan, any other lans connected it wont be able to see them.  And there is no way to do a static route to them.

You can cheat on the tunnel settings with the subnet mask to be 255.255.248.0 to include multiple networks through the tunnel but it has to be all in one subnet.

Not sure what you mean by Q2 though, could you elaborate a little more?

David... thank you very much.

Disregard q2.

Those are bad news.

My local subnet is /22 and I need to connect via vpn to /24. So I assume that I won't be able to use the RV042.

How do I choose the SN like you recommended? I don't have the possibility to choose it (see picture).

Which Cisco/linksys SB router would you recommend for this task?

For the vpn, the setting would be under the gateway to gateway vpn tunnel settings.

There you can put in the 255.255.248.0 subnet to include more than one lan on the remote side. 

However the networks have to be in that subnet together.  You can increase that subnet or decrease it if need be too.

It seems to me that I need to get a "bigger" VPN router, which will allow the mentioned feature.

If I change the NM at the local or remote group as recommended than my VPN tunnel drops and can't be restablished anymore until the right NM is reentered.

I appreciate your help!