cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042 behind Forefront TMG 2010 (SOLVED)

swiftit52
Level 1
Level 1

Currently i am having a scenario where i have setup RV042 and  which is connected to Microsoft Forefront 2010. PPTP works fine only on  rv042 subnet but i am not able to access the "internal" network of TMG.

RV042 (172.16.1.1) ---> TMG [external] (172.16.1.2) ---> TMG [internal] (192.168.1.1)

Is there any way through static route to access the TMG internal network through RV042 pptp server ?

3 Replies 3

jasbryan
Level 6
Level 6

Try adding a static route inside the RV042 to point to TMG . Also you might need to make a firewall exception inside the TMG. Note i haven't tested but PPTP connection you send all traffic to remote host. So in theory it should work.

Jasbryan

Thanks jasbryan, one of my very good friend suggested the same but didn't give it a try. Haven't used TMG ever but ill give it a try. Do you have any idea like what kind of rules i need to create in TMG and without changing any option like (gateway or router mode) ?

What ip address i should mention in Destination , is it 192.168.1.1 and what should be the gateway than ?

Well after expecting experts views from so long, i took help from one of  my senior where i had to make changes in NETWORK RULES of TMG by  creating Internal to External & External to Internal rules for 5  PPTP ip addresses and it started working. This is how it helped.

Common troubleshooting steps :

1.  Check the IP address of TMG if it is pinging through RV042 firmware.

2.  If not pinging than create a policy to allow PING into internal network.

3.  Do the STATIC ROUTING in RV042 by keeping the IP address as TMG internal ip & gateway as TMG wan static ip.

4. Ping to confirm if you are having access through the router to TMG using PING utility of RV042.

5.  Once you are able to PING than , enable PPTP and connect from the  remote side and PING the WAN static ip of TMG and any of the INTERNAL ip  of TMG network.

6. If you are not able to ping TMG internal network by just STATIC ROUTING from RV042

7.  Than you need to create two rules under NETWORK RULES of FOREFRONT  (check this option in FOREFRONT management window) , first you need to  create a range of PPTP ip addresses in SUBNET category of TMG and use  these range of ip addresses in the rules we are going to create.

8. Create SOURCE (PPTP IP ADDRESS RANGE) to INTERNAL and INTERNAL to (PPTP IP ADDRESS RANGE)

9. That's it , i am sure you will be able to ping it from the remote and so does access the resources of TMG network.

Please if any one have any doubts, post it here. Ill be really glad to help. Thank you.