cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042 constantly restarts

spiff41398
Level 1
Level 1

Our Linksys RV042 [1.3.12.19-tm (Feb 13 2009 13:03:21)] has two (2) DSL modems connected to it, each with a static IP. For the past couple of weeks, it has been constantly restarting every 10-15 minutes. Load Balancing is ON but Enable Network Service Detection is OFF. If I switch it to Smart Link Backup, it works properly.

For the past year, it has worked with load balancing. Now it doesn't. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

5 Replies 5

oliversl1
Level 1
Level 1

Had the same issue with a RV082. My solution was to write down every configuration(I taked screenshots with mwsnap actuallly), then click on the Reset to factory default button, wait 1 minute until restart, then press the reset button on the device for 20 seconds, power cicle, wait 1 minute to initialize, then configure it again manually.

HTH

Oliver

http://tinymailto.com/oliversl --> My e-mail after a captcha

annoyedbycisco
Level 1
Level 1

If you have excluded all other possibillities, it could be the bad caps problem.

Whenever the second WAN port is in use, the rv consumes more power thus leading to crashes.

This is caused due the failing/bad (on board) power supply.

Just search for rv042 mortality

does this bad cap also affects the rv082? I have an rv082 that restarts every few minutes.

Many thanks

Oliver

Not normally, only the power supply of the rv042 has these problems generally.

But I just found out that the reason why more than 10x rv042's had died was because they had used JACKCON capacitors.

So I dug up other dead/defunct stuff and found a labelprinter which had the same bad JACKCON capacitors.

JACKCON capacitors seem to be the worst as they only last for about a year.

I replaced them and voila, all was working again!!

So if the warranty of the '82 has expired, I personally would definetly check the voltage of the internal power supply for AC residuals.

Be aware that you have the full 115V AC in there!!

Many thanks for the info!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: