Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042 does not load web interface, VPN stops working

lpiwowarek
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We bought an RV042 at the end of June. It is used as a gateway and VPN router. DHCP server is disabled and all IPs are configured manually.

Every once in a while (Tuesday night, then Friday night - yesterday, it has hapened once or twice before that) the router appears to restart (see log below) then comes back up with system time of Jan 01 2010. At this point the router will no longer load its configuration page (https://10.29.238.197:16443/) and VPN connection to our customer in Africa drops. However, devices behind the router can be reached and can access the internet. The only way to fix this is to power cycle the router at which point everything starts working flawlessly again.

Since the VPN connection to our customer is pretty critical to our operation I am trying to see if anyone else has experienced similar issues, and possibly has found a solution.

The PID VID is RV042 V03 running firmware v4.0.3.03-tm (May 12 2011 21:27:37). Our RV042 is a newer one with Cisco SMB Router branding not the older Linksys branding.

From the log when the router reboots:

Aug 12 22:38:42 2011VPN Log(g2gips0) #141: retransmitting in response to duplicate packet; already STATE_QUICK_I2
Jan 1 01:00:05 2010System Logheart : System is up
Jan 1 01:00:13 2010System LogWAN connection is up : 10.29.238.197/255.255.255.192 gw 10.29.238.225 on eth1
Jan 1 01:00:15 2010VPN Log(g2gips0) #1: [Tunnel Negotiation Info] >>> Initiator Send Main Mode 1st packet

I looked at the log more and all the usual messages assosciated with VPN being established are there - the last thing in the log before the router coming back up again is:

Jan 1 01:03:49 2010VPN Log(g2gips0) #4: [Tunnel Negotiation Info] Quick Mode Phase 2 SA Established, IPSec Tunnel Connected
Jan 1 01:03:49 2010VPN Log(g2gips0) #4: [Tunnel Negotiation Info] Quick Mode Phase 2 SA Established, IPSec Tunnel Connected
Jan 1 01:03:49 2010VPN Log(g2gips0) #4: sent QI2, IPsec SA established {ESP=>0x575a01c0 <0x6534ae4e

So it even claims the tunnel should be up but I can never reach anything on the far side.

5 Replies 5

jasbryan
Level 6
Level 6

Lukasz,

Just from the logs; looks like everything is starting back up and connecting.

Generally if something wrong with the router then symptoms will be more consistent but what you are describing seem to be more sporadic. This generally means environment related issues.

How long has the router been in production before it started rebooting?

Did something change around that time?

Was any equipment added to the network?

Was a change made on the router?

What is your topology of your network?

Are you running latest firmware?

If so did you upgrade and factory reset and reconfigure?

Thanks,

Jasbryan          

Cisco Support Engineer

.:|:.:|:.

I have a similar issue when trying to restart the RV042 remotely.  If I have a VPN tunnel established and remotely log into the RV042 and do a restart properly.  Once I click on restart, I lose connection to the RV042 and it never comes back. I am no longer able to ping the public IP address of the RV042 router.

I must power cycle the RV042 to get it to reply to pings and remote access and to get the VPN tunnel to re-establish.

Stewart

v4.0.3.03-tm

I had the same issue and disasbling the UPnP service worked. 

In the web interface:

Setup->

UPnP->

UPnP Function = no

If that does not work try to disable non-critical services one at a time to take stress off of the box.

Hello,

I got exactly the same issue. I tried to remove the Upnp, but without any result. It is not solved anything. I bought two of this RV042 because of the VPN, I am thinking put them to the trash as they are not stable and support doesn't have a correct enaser on this issue !

I used to work with linksys product open version, there are not perfect but any bug is corrected in a short time.

Please Cisco support, answer and solve this issue that some of your users are facing everyday.

Hi roll roll,

I suggest calling the Small Business Support Center and speak with a support representative. The phone numbers in your area are located here.

Regards,

Cindy Toy
Cisco Small Business Community Manager
for Cisco Small Business Products
www.cisco.com/go/smallbizsupport
twitter: CiscoSBsupport

Regards, Cindy If my response answered your question, please mark the response as answered. Thank you!