cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042 Load Balance Protocol Binding Not Failing Back

Comlabs2007
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to make this router prefer Wan1 for outbound while listening to both WAN ports for Inbound.

I set it to Load Balance mode and added in a rule for Protocol binding:

All Traffic( TCP & UDP/1-65535)>192.168.1.1~192.168.1.254(0.0.0.0~0.0.0.0)WAN1 ENABLED

This says bind all Outbound traffic  to anybody to WAN1

My Wan 2 connection is over satellite so it is easy to tell if a ping is going over Wan2 because the latency is >600mS

If I start a continuous ping to outside site - eg Yahoo.com then if I Fail WAN1 I see the ping latency Jump from 30mS to 700mS  as it starts to use Wan2.

If I restore the Connection to Wan 1 then the pings stay on WAN2 - seemingly forever.

If I stop pinging for 30 mins then a restart of pinging does use Wan1 - so it fails back eventually

If I restore Wan1 and then remove Wan2, it fails back right away

My problem is with our VOIP which uses a connection keepalive  so there is no real downtime for the router to release the path to WAN2 should it fail over

Any ideas how I can force the router to fail back to Wan1 without removing Wan2?

Thanks

Bill

3 Replies 3

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Roland, I believe you can use network service detection. This will allow the router to detect network connectivity by pinging specified devices.

Give this a try and see if it helps. You can find the configuration System Management -> Dual WAN

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

I am using network service detection and see the same problem either way:

so if I unplug Wan 1 then my traffic goes to WAN2 and stays there after Wan 1 is plugged back in

Using Netork Service detection, if my Wan 1 remote host becomes unpingable ( because I unplugged that) then my traffic goes to WAN2 and stays there after my Remote host becomes pingable again

I can see from the log that there is an NSD FAIL WAN(1) followed by my test pings switching to WAN2 ( called eth2)

when the remote host is restored I see NSD SUCCESS WAN(1) but the pings continue on WAN2

comtelconnect
Level 1
Level 1

I'm having this exact problem as well with voip especially. Someone from Cisco want to chime in here?

I've tried rv082, rv042 and latest firmware on both. Still no dice. My steps to replicate are exactly as Roland mentioned above.