Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042 setup questions

johanvermeij
Level 1
Level 1

Is this a correct set up ?

I have a RV042 router to which 4 clients are connecting.

I have set up 1 tunnel only with Local Group Setup as IP address + domain name (I have a fixed IP address).

IP Address is 192.168.2.0 and subnet 255.255.255.0 (I have a few servers using 192.168.2.2, 192.168.2.3 etc).

The connecting clients are either using XP or W7, all use the QuickVPN Client.

2 of the clients connect directly to the RV042 using a cable modem on the client side.

The 2 other clients are used by people in an apartment and they use a wireless router to connct to the internet.

All are using DHCP at the moment.

What I notice is that only 1 of the 2 client in the apartment can connect to the RV042.

If one is connected and the other one tries to connect the client goes into an endless "Verifying Network" loop.

So only one can connect at one time.

Am I doing something wrong ?

(Should I set up a vpn group, define one tunnel for each client etc).

Your help is much appreciated.

9 Replies 9

jasbryan
Level 6
Level 6

Johan,

Let me just clarify, you have two users trying to connect behind same router to a RV042 using Qvpn. You are not doing anything wrong and i have seen this in another case. If you would call the Cisco Small Business Support Center so we can get started on a case for a quicker resolution.

1-866-606-1866

Thanks,

Jason Bryant

Cisco Support Engineer

.:|:.:|:.

In the QuickVPN 1.4.1.2 user guide I read under point 5:

While a QuickVPN tunnel is connected, the following message may appear:
"Remote Gateway is not responding, do you want to wait?" This issue occurs
when the remote QuickVPN Server is not responding to the ping sent by the
QuickVPN Client. This issue may be caused by the remote QuickVPN Server
temporarily overloaded. Users can ignore the pop-up message as long as the
traffic continues to flow through the tunnel.

When I have the issue with the two users behind a router and one getting "Remote Gateway is not responding, do you want to wait?" I see both users connected at the RV042 side.

So maybe it is just a matter of ignoring the pop-up and carry on.

There are a lot of complaints (and remedies) about the Remote Gateway not responding problem.

Maybe this is the simple answer that I overlooked.

I will do more testing soon and post the result here.

It would be good if there is a simple network topology diagram illustrating the issue.

But regardless the issue, to use QuickVPN there is no need to configure the "VPN>Gateway to Gateway" page. Only the username/password of QuickVPN users need to be specified in the "VPN>VPN Client Access" page.

This is an email from one of the people who are not behind the router in the apartment, he connects straight to the internet vi a cable modem.

He was fine this morning.

Now:

-------------------------------------

Hi Johan,
FYI (just testing), right now I continually get the "do you want to wait" message, at the same time I cannot update from repo.
Cheers,Dave

So he tried to ignore the pop up but he could't do anything when that pop up was there.

From the RV042 log:

HTTP Basic authentication succeeded for user: Dave

This behaviour is so very intermittent

I myself can connect using a Blackberry modem without fail and for long periods of time.

That should be the hard one to do.

Another thing.

The RV042 has 2 WAN ports.

I only have 1 WAN.

So I plugged 2 cables from my (bridged) ADSL modem to WAN ports 1 and 2

I don't see any documentation for using the RV042 with a single WAN

Is what I did wrong ?

Schematic is attached

At the bank where I work we have Cisco vpn clients that work like a charm

You don't even know that they are there, so smooth.

This QuickVPN client has taken over my life and it is not the first time this has happened.

Can't Cisco give me something good like what I use at work ?

I am willing to pay for it.

The errors are get are so intermittent that I don't really want to raise a support ticket; I wouldn't be able to explain it all.

Johan,

Just want to let you know that the SA520,SA520W,SA540 work with the Cisco vpn client ( have to be running firmware 2.1.18)  The problem with Qvpn piggie's itself on top of the windows IPsec services and utilizes windows services for vpn. Its not really a stand alone vpn software so any time customer have certain software loaded on there PC;can effect windows services and in all effect the Qvpn software.If you are really looking for device that support Cisco vpn then above Small Business Routers do.

Thanks,

Jason Bryant

Cisco Support Engineer

I have had a lot of personal problems, hence my very late reply

I have put another RV042 in the apartment with the 2 users who could only log in one at a time.

Adding the (dumb, not set as vpn router) RV042 fixed the problem, they can now both log in at the same time.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: