Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042 Stops responding

rj_bauman
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

In the last year we have had to power cycle our RV042 V03 router about three times a week in order for it to respond and allow access across our LAN. Updating to version 4.2.1.02 (dated Jan 18 2012) had no affect on this issue. I have seen some "Connection refused" entries in the status log, but they do not directly correlate with the time and date when the router stops responding. In the prior 3 years the device operated without an issue.

Any ideas on how to debug this?

3 Replies 3

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Bob, as far as I understand things, the connection refused entries are a bug in the router and that is being worked on by the development team. Supposedly what happens, sessions do not time out appropriate and try to re-establish causing this entry.

Out of the utmost curiosity, can you downgrade the firmware a few versions back and see if that provides stability?

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Thanks for the reply Tom. The key question is whether these messages are related to the problem with the router not responding and requiring a power cycle. I really don't care if these messages are in the log right now because my main concern is keeping the network up.

Do you think the two are related?

Is there any else I can do in the router that would help me debug this?

In the meantime I will look at downgrading the firmware.

The log messages should be unrelated to my understanding.

The router has very limited debugging. The best thing you can do to debug is set up an external syslog to log everything from the router until the router fails and see what may be a common error message being generated.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: