Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042G - Internet connection keeps dropping

jfdoucet
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've had an RV042G for awhile now and never had much problem.  Lately, the internet connection began to drop randomly.  I decided to upgrade the routeur to it's latest firmware but the issue this arises. 

When the issue arises, I still have my network so from any computer, I can log into the router and restart the router.  At first, I was always restarting the router via the GUI but I found that releasing and Renewing the IP address gives me back access to the internet on my network.  I thought that upon renewing the IP address, the address would change, but the IP of my ISP seems to be static..  or atleast until I reset the ISP modem.

What could I do to make the router prevent from dropping it's connection constantly?

1 Reply 1

Andreasj
Level 1
Level 1

I have this problem to on a RV042G V1 that has been stable on 4.2.3.06 for multiple years. Same ISP and network owner (Utsikt in Sweden).

A few days ago they did planned maintenance in the network and suddenly my WAN1 drops with the error "NDS FAIL (WAN1)"(Everything else works 100%). When this happens moving the eth cable to WAN2 gives connectivity back (ofc release/renew or reboot works as well).

WAN1 drops occurs more or less always occur exactly after 15 minutes which makes me suspect it has something to do with the DHCP lease. I checked it on my PC I can see that ISP/fibre-provider has set DHCP lease expire to 15 minutes.

Substituting the RV042G with a PC (directly) or an Apple Time Capsule as NAT works perfectly fine and neither lose connectivity.

I've tested:

1. Upgrade 4.2.3.08

2. Disable NDS (even though I don't believe it is NDS itself that triggers the failure)

3. Disable load balancing and using only WAN1(problem persists)

4. Disable load balancing and using only WAN2 (problem persists)

5. MTU manual (1500) and different settings for interface wan1 (speed, duplex, auto etc)

6. Factory rest and default configuration (problem persists)

Nothing works :(